Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Live in your house a bit before buying a shit ton of furniture. Sometimes you have to figure out the flow of a room before tossing a ton of furniture in it.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is good advice and extends beyond furniture. Don't do any major project until you've lived in the house for a year. Also, stage projects. If we had done our kitchen/ramada when we did the backyard I would have put it in the wrong spot and spent the next 20 years grumbling at myself.

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

We were given the same advice, and are doing just that with our new house. Living in it for the first year (about a quarter in) before we end up doing anything, and have 3 phases of projects we're thinking about for the future: one next year after the wedding/honeymoon/etc., then 5 years from now, and then 5 years after that.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

$25-30 a square foot. Not sure what we're going with yet though as apparently the lead time on the big slabs is not going to fit our time table.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I agree, there are some things that are nice to do right away, such as paint and flooring as well as any structural issues or other problems.
    Once those are out if the way it is nice to live in a space and buy things a few at a time. I'm glad I did not get to many spaces in my house right away.

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

My brother, an architect, recommended it for our place. I talked to a bunch of shops and the majority of them had stopped carrying it. It's apparently difficult to transport and install, so slabs often arrive cracked or crack during installation. But they are durable low-maintenance once in. Iirc, the material is relatively cheap, but installation is very expensive.

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I think a big part of this is because the places that carry and install it are stone stores who are used to cutting granite and quartz.

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Joined the ranks of home ownership last week. Planning to complete some minor work before moving in. Top of the list is remove popcorn and smooth the ceilings for all 2,400 sqft. Trying to convince my wife now is the ideal time to install recessed lighting in the kitchen because we currently have two inadequate flush mount fixtures. Struggling to find online estimates to get an idea on installation per light. Anyone had a similar job completed previously that would be willing to provide numbers? For reference, I'm in LCOL area in western TN.