The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Well, if you love them, you can afford it, and you'll be there long enough to enjoy them, go for it.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Mahogany is Sapele or African Mahogany or...?

I like those, very nice looking doors. I've been dying to build interior doors for my own home, probably in yellow cedar.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I look on my home equity as one of the low risk portions of my portfolio. In particular, these "bonds" were purchased at nearly 50% of par and have seen a return to well above par in the last 5.5 years. Also, these "bonds" have really nice views and are quite enjoyable to reside in. I can also quickly borrow against this low risk investment at a moment's notice.

I agree, I'm making nothing but bad financial decisions.

Work on my ramada/outdoor kitchen starts next week. I should be hosting a TG cookout and that will be fun.

Hopkins, get the more expensive doors. You love them and what's 12k as a percent of the entire home investment?

4. brokencycle

Are your favorite ebros invited?

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'll be happy to just upgrade the crappy hollow cardboard and sawdust doors the previous homeowner bought. Haven't managed to convince the wife that replacing doors with nothing visibly wrong with them is worth the money though.

Amazing feeling the difference between the houses on my street that still have the original 1950s solid wood doors and the modern replacements.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Yes but you will not be given the gate code.

Our doors are solid wood...spruce I think for some reason. I like them.

7. brokencycle

Give me the address, and let me worry about the rest.

Agreed. You can find solid prehung wood doors for ~$300 (obviously you can spend a lot more than that too). I struggle with replacing our solid MDF doors because I don't know if there is any ROI there, and I don't know if we'll live in the house long enough to get more enjoyment out of nicer doors than doing something else with the money.

I have considered trying to get used solid wood doors in the right size, clean them up, and repaint them.