The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

The mystery is far better than the reality...,,except a few decent bottles of booze, those are pretty good. V:teach:

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Do any of you guys have combination locks on your front doors? Pros and cons? Recommendations?

Looking good, SG.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 7:40 PM

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you considered smart locks?

https://www.wired.com/2013/06/smart-locks/

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Why do you want the combination lock?

5. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks poorsod. I have, but I'd rather have one that doesn't need batteries. Definitely don't want one that requires a cell phone or that's hooked up to the internet. Schlage and other companies make ones with key pads, but they usually require batteries. There are some non-electronic ones, but the ones I've seen are either not very good-looking or probably too low quality.

@sugarbutch, I just want the convenience of one less thing to remember, to carry, or to lose.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

My research work is on 'smart' tech and I think you're entirely right to avoid hooking up your front door lock to the internet. In fact, knowing what I know about the poor state of Intenet of Things security, I would avoid connecting anything you don't absolutely need to, which means most smart home devices and systems.

7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

We use a kwikset key pad for our backdoor (detached garage) so it is the door that we use, but not our guests. It is definately not SF worthy, but it gets the job done. With the keypad and push button on the vehicle, I never take keys out of my pocket. Fwiw, I recharge the batteries maybe once a year. It is big and bulky, but well worth it in the convenience factor.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Batteries aren't a huge deal...the odds of them being dead at a time you actually *need* to use the keypad (as opposed to just a convenience of not having to dig for keys or something) are pretty slim.

My parents have a keypad for the garage door...as a kid I never had to deal with keys and I can still get into their house to this day.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I have a Schlage that uses a 9V battery. It's very easy to change (two Phillips screws), and it warns you pretty far in advance of when the battery will die.

We travel a lot, and it's nice not to have to give keys out to housesitters. We can create a temporary code for them.