1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Build a few of these:
    [​IMG]

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Nice.

I think I overestimated the job. It took me literally ten minutes.

IMG_20170521_153749684_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170521_153733442_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170521_155149379_HDR.jpg

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

There you go

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Gotta get the most out of the one project in ten that wraps up ahead of schedule and under budget.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Demo is finally getting underway on our remodel this week. Pretty excited to see how it comes together. I am really impressed by the Hans Grohe fixtures I have gotten in for the project.

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Re: the mini splits, I was looking at the wiring in my house and noticed that my downstairs a/c has a 40-amp breaker. It's raining right now so I didn't take the cover off to look at the wires, but if it turns out that's 8 gauge wire I could put a subpanel in at that far wall and use that to power the mini split (which claims a 7-amp draw). A lot easier than running a whole new wire.

I'm pretty sure it's not four-wire so I'm not sure if it's technically legal to put a subpanel there. But if it's just for 220v why do I need a neutral at all?

IIRC there's also some weird rules about a/c wire sizing so it might just be a 10-gauge wire.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Yeah, okay, so the wire is stranded copper, 5.5mm outer diameter including the insulation (didn't want to get zapped trying to measure the strands themselves. According to google that's almost certainly 8 AWG, rated for 40 amps at least. Probably 50. So I could easily put a subpanel where either of my a/c disconnects are and use it to feed my new mini split.

I probably should run a new wire anyway, because my landscape light transformer/timer thing is there and it's... improvised. Basically the cord was cut and the thing was wired directly to the ground and one of the 40-amp fused legs of the a/c's power. That's a really bad idea. Incredibly something similar was done with my stove and the outlets on the island in my kitchen. I can't believe this crap passed inspection at least twice.

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

There's a sparky over in cm but you'll have to hunt him down . Don't say I sent you

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

What da hell is dat?

10. otc

otc Senior member

Clearly it is a dry gas seal panel...

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Whenever I google image search for it it all I get are pictures of flowers and kittens.

12. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

They are 4 semi conductor mfg. process skids . Music comes in here,goes round and it goes out there.Probably built over a hundred of 'em of during my years under the grinding stone of American Industrial Greatness