The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Meh, wear (assuming it's not excessive or damaged) is nice, gives it character.

Kudos for pulling up the carpet though, I love hardwood floors.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Dishwashers use only a very small amount of water...washing machines use a lot when filling (but if you rinse cold, that only happens once). I feel like most people, at least us midwesterners and our midwest sensibilities, just learn to not run the wash when someone is in the shower...waiting 15 minutes seems like a better solution than oversized/extra water heaters.

Pretty sure my parents heater is gas. I remember the old heater did the same thing...and its not a small heater. Honestly, I have experienced similar things almost everywhere I have been with a traditional heater (my apartments have all had centralized limitless hot water). If you have enough flow in the shower through an unrestricted head, you bring the tank level down far enough that it starts filling with cold water and diluting the hot (so you have to turn up the heat in the shower). When it is the middle of winter, the water filling back into the tank is frigid. Obviously this only happens for long-ish showers...no temp dips if its only on for 5 minutes.

Actually, it is kept very hot. I wonder if this might be part of why this happens. If the water is very hot, then when the cold water starts mixing with the hot, there is a 100 degree differential and it doesn't take much to cool the outflow by a few degrees. Since the shower is mixing a bunch of cold water with the hot to get a tolerable temperature, losing a few degrees in the small amount of hot water translates to a pretty big drop overall.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Hardwood ... my wife's idiot cat knocked opened the cupboard under the sink and knocked over some cleaner with bleach which spilled onto the hardwood floor. Found it when we came home. Wiped it up to find that it removed the finish and bleached the wood underneath. Now I have to figure out how to match the stain and finish.

lefty

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You might consider a tung oil finish.

Its a different look, but I really cant stand that polyurethane coating sorta hazy plastic look. If you sanded the floor and used Waterlox you'd get a more natural looking wood finish similar to this:

[​IMG]

as opposed to this hazy shine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There are craftsman that would be interested in jobs like that. I used a guy to build me a custom stereo equipment cabinet since purpose made ones look too techy to me.

I would go standalone. You sell that house and might regret it.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I've seen too many awesome wall-hung cabinet systems to even consider building anything that would be part of the house if I moved.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I've never built anything I didn't think I could do a better job on the second time around.

Ain't that the truth. The worst thing for a hardwood floor is that period between shiny and new and "character." I say keep the old floors if possible.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I haven't.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Maybe I'm biased but I self-installed my own tankless electric water heater. It was stupid easy. Electric bill definitely cheaper since, but I live alone - no kids. And I don't run the dishwasher at the same time I shower.

11. SkinnyGoomba

Stephen,

Morgen's Koch bookcase and BassamFellows wall drawers. There have been various Danish makers that have spun off from the Koch system with a wall hung panel as their base and Americans such as nakashima. My favourite by a great length are the systems of Paul Cadovius.

Maybe I was a bit enthusiastic, I should have said I would start by looking for a wall hung system and move forward from there prior to considering a built in. In fact to nit-pick...many built-ins are actually prebuilt then wall-hung and finished with mouldings.

12. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

13. SkinnyGoomba

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Douglas - by way of suggestion, you could build a standalone cabinet and hang it with a french cleat (yes you can google this).

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I died.