1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Not all DIY is bad, but some people really are not qualified for it. Sounds like you really got in deep with this house? What redeeming qualities does it have?

2. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

agreed but this guy was not qualified. basement just has cheap, poorly assembled walls and power setup. Basement is big and finishing it would be a nice thing to do down the road, but foundation and structure are in great shape, desirable neighborhood at a great price, walk to parks, close to "downtown", 4br plus finished attic, 2 bath with plumbing ready for another half we'll put in right away.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sounds like it will be nice after you discard all of the old owners work

4. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

has anyone appealed a property tax assesment? ours just went up about 6% which seems a bit high.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yep, although we have a firm that does that for us on a contingency basis. Generally they're former employees of the appraisal district and know the system. Some years we get savings, other years nothing, but it beats just taking the increases.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Any one bought a HUD home or other house that needed repairs? Worried about my ability to get financing on it :(

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I have a big project I plan to do in a couple of years to finish this house off right. Thinking of adding a whole house generator onto the list.

9. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

has anybody made the switch to a tankless water heater recently. We'll be putting in a new one and moving to a tankless seems like a no-brainer as far as energy/cost savings and lifespan of the equipment. I know to get something with a proper GPM for my household but can anyone speak to a certain brand to purchase or avoid?

10. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Pio, Generator is a beautiful thing to have in place when the need arises. Great idea.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You might consider an AO Smith Vertex:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

that is an intense promo

13. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    This is just another water tank system, which is the dumb and wasteful idea. Sort of like top-loading washers.
    Definitely go tankless.
    The idea that they are selling that without tank you cannot have enough hot water during peak demands is simply baseless marketing lie.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Last I checked, tankless water heaters took a decade or more (often two decades) to pay for themselves. But in the meantime you get to enjoy water that's not consistently hot and doesn't flow enough to shower while washing dishes. A guy I know swears by them--but he has three in his house.

Around here the attics are so damn hot most of the year, water heaters don't have much work to do to keep their tanks hot.

15. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

tank style water heaters are $350-1000 with a lifespan of 12 years, tank-less are $800-1400 with a 20 year lifespan and energy cost savings of 30% or about $100/yr for a 2 person home, savings seem substantial enough for me. Price varies with volume for tank-style and output (gpm) for the tank-less. If your friend has 3 it's because he probably bought multiple lower priced units small outputs,