1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Another LED post.

Prices on the bulbs must have gone down a lot. eBay has exploded with people selling Philips bulbs for about half what they were selling for a year ago--60-watt A-type bulbs being ~$25 for the "L Prize" bulb and ~$15 for the standard. At auction they're going for less than that. I lucked out got a large lot of the L-Prize type bulbs for much less. The are white and yellow instead of silver and orange and look a lot better behind frosted glass. CRI is also 92, which is fantastic for any kind of energy efficient bulb (good LED is usually ~80, nice but actually inferior to the new T8 fluorescent tubes).

[​IMG]

Also Home Depot is going to start selling these for $13 each very soon. They actually look like a real light bulb:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CREE-9-5...-08027OMF-12DE26-1U100/203991774#.UUdqzhfMB8E

http://www.cree.com/lighting/products/indoor/lamps/60w-replacement-warm-white-type-a-led-bulb

[​IMG]

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

3. Ataturk

One caution: the L-prize bulbs and the standard Philips LED use different types of dimmers. The l-prize uses standard dimmers and although it seems to work with the new CFL/LED type, with the specific one I have (can't remember the make/model), it hums when dimmed. Apparently that's a common issue. Always make sure your bulbs and dimmer match.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

All may be well, but this tends to throw up red flags for products like this. How do you know you aren't buying Phi1ips bulbs?

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This is a :fu: :fu: :fu:

Come on. I gotta spend hundreds on bulbs AND NOW dimmers to eventually save money on more energy efficient bulbs? Are we being hook-wound or what?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I don't understand people's obsession with dimmer switches.

7. Ataturk

Ebay is a lot better than it used to be. They have "buyer protection" and all that stuff. I've only had one guy try to rip me off in years, and I got my money back easily. I also reported him to post office, though I'm sure they didn't do anything to him.

I've never heard of anybody counterfeiting A-type LED bulbs. Even if they could, generics don't sell for much less, so there's not much incentive to do it. I'd worry about the little ones--the low-voltage, bi-pin MR16 type. You can get those for $2.50 each in generics, but the name brands are 4-10x that much. The generics seem to work fine, though. I got 10 of those for my landscape lights and so far they've been great and will pay for themselves in a couple months. That's the best deal in LED lights today. 4 watts and it's brighter than a 35-watt halogen.

I guess. At least you can dim them, unlike CFLs. In my case there's also the benefit of not having to borrow a 12-foot step ladder every year to replace the bulbs.

Lets you change the lighting level depending on what you're doing. Nice option to have.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I love my dimmers.

Dimmer in child's bedroom allows me to turn the lights nearly all the way off, placating her that the lights are on (and she can get up and go to the bathroom if needed) but dark enough that it's bedtime.

Dimmer in the bedroom means the wife or I can go to sleep before the other while leaving enough light to get undressed and hit the sack.

Dimmers in the kitchen mean we can set full bright for most evenings or cooking but also dim to set a mood for entertaining.

And my sweet-ass Grafik-Eye system allows me to set six different "scenes" for my living room track and chandelier lighting for a variety of different entertaining options.

9. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Well-Known Member

10. Ataturk

What a bizarre article. They spend most of their time talking about color-changing novelty bulbs.

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Well, this weekend was interesting. Germaine to this thread: composite wood deck products. They are not all fire-resistant.

That is all.

Oh, and does anyone know of any deals on grey composite deck boards: 1 1/4 x 5 x 12' - I need fifteen of them by Saturday. PLZ.

And do not speak of this on facebook, PLZ.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

Are they marketed as such?

13. yerfdog

yerfdog Well-Known Member

Did just this a few months ago. For me, the actual installation was fairly easy, but the microwave is a little too deep for the cabinets, so it looks ugly. I thought I could mount it farther back than I could, but that would have required cutting backsplash tile that went up unexpectedly high behind the old unit, and I wasn't prepared for tile work. It may be a long time before i get around to cutting and installing the roof exhaust vent I had planned.....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Not really, but being a composite of something + something, where neither something is wood, you'd be tempted to hope so.

15. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I just found a mushroom or some shit growing out of my carpet (apartment, not my own thankfully). What in the fuck?

Also been finding a lot of those silverfish shitheads recently...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

You've got a bad moisture problem.

17. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

+1.

18. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Silver fish are attracted by moisture, but their mere presence, especially during the drier winter months, doesn't necessarily indicate a "bad moisture problem."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  19. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Agreed, but combined with mushrooms or fungus growing, I'd say that's pretty strongly indicative of a moisture problem.

20. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

That's true. There's probably a leak that's keeping the floor under the carpet wet.