1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Not doing a dedicated pizza style oven, wood fired or otherwise. Also, research just pulled me off the BGE to the Kamado Joe.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Found out last week we needed a new A/C. Between the new parts needed and the unit being 10 years old, we decided the extra $500 for a new unit was worth it. Gets installed tomorrow. I always thought that would be a bigger hassle and it was less expensive than I was expecting.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

ACs by themselves aren't that expensive - especially depending on where you live. When we replaced our AC in MN, the unit was only like $800 (my brother is in HVAC). Even larger, more-efficient models aren't that much more, and the labor for the AC replacement is a lot easier than the whole furnace.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Okay, found a local place that will sell me the grill I'm looking for at 5k vs. the 6.1k MSRP. Score.

jbarwick likes this.
  5. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    This looks like a back of some B&B or motel where they are making meals for 50+ people.

* Totally agree with Foo on horrific state of house-design in US. What makes Americans accept that quality-price ratio when it comes to housing is prolly polit-economic question.

* Personally I would love to ditch my AC units as they are ugly as fuck, not to mention ruin paintings, furniture and mucus membranes by drying the fuk out of em.
    I live in 19C residential building as well as 18C house and both would be uncomfortable without AC and cold without floor heating. I have no clue how people survived 100F week after week. My optimal living T is 19.5C and I am prepared to ruin this planet to achieve moderate comfort.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017 at 4:32 AM
  6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I wish I cared enough to look more into HVAC and how it moderates the humidity in a house. It has been cooler out this week so I have opened some windows and turned on fans. It seems getting the hot air out of a room is better than trying to get cooler air into a room. Maybe I am an idiot and this is common sense?

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

A/C dries out the inside of your house less than heating does in the winter if you live in a reasonably cold place.

Also you can reduce the humidity drop by adding insulation so the thing works more efficiently. But for the most part you want lower humidity because it's more comfortable.

8. otc

otc Senior member

If your AC is seriously drying stuff out, then you probably have an undersized unit.

Too small and it will have to run constantly, which will suck more moisture out of the air.