1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Smaller cities though. The rural and ex-urb areas are seeing very slow or even negative growth. People want the kind of amenities and economic opportunity you don't get way out in the country. The more people you have closer to cities of any reasonable size, the more multi-unit development you're likely to see. It's not 100% like in NYC or the other huge cities, but still ought to move the needle away from single family designs. Maybe it'll swing back in the future if remote work gains more acceptance.

I think urbanization is a much bigger trend internationally. Some absurd number of people have gone from the countryside into the cities in China in the last 30 years. Same deal in Africa.

This isn't an argument against increased energy efficiency, which I think it still a great way to reduce energy consumption. Lots of large buildings have very high efficiency ratings, through different strategies than you'd used in single family.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This was important to him, not me, so when his own home models all of ours...well, I would hope you get the picture.

My problem is being told, in very unequivocal terms, that A/C is not needed in housing within the context of the conversation we were having. From there he's even got :foo: on his side by back pedaling into more reasonable statements.

Whatevs.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

In my limited and anecdotal (and thus not valid) experience, we're still seeing urban sprawl in smaller cities. Minneapolis-St Paul continues to sprawl outward the Research Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is similar. Now, there is plenty of housing construction in the city vs just the sprawl.

What's interesting to me is all of the mixed-use construction going on. I don't understand the boom. I see some appeal to living in a second ring suburb to live in a low-rise condo or town home that is next to some small shopping center, but that seems like a crappy compromise. What's the point? I can walk to Chipotle and Whole Foods? I get a bunch of the downsides of living in dense areas, but limited upside.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Sure, but "urban sprawl" still has a higher fraction of multi-unit buildings and higher density than the ex-urbs and rural areas. You see tons of townhouses and such in even the distant suburbs of DC. Back in the day, it was all single-family.

The more people that want to live near cities, the more multi-unit stuff you're going to have, even if they're all commuting in from sprawled out suburbs.

That stuff is weird to me, it's all around DC now. You have these things way out in the suburbs, where you're paying almost city prices to live in a condo over a Whole Foods or whatever. And it's almost always a bunch of chain stores. I live near one (in a single family neighborhood) and end up going by there a lot, but mine is also on the Metro line so it really gives it more appeal. Some of them aren't even near the highway.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've noticed the multi-use like that around universities so I figure it's housing them. Also, I know there's a movement to get affordable housing for low paid workers closer to their employment source. Makes sense if that's what's happening.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The ones around here have basically dragged "luxury urban living" out into the suburbs. It's like a single block of the city (albeit with all chain stores) stuffed out into the 'burbs. It might seem reasonable for people who are comparing it to the city, but you can be paying a 50% premium over similar housing a mile away. Or equivalent pricing to single family homes a mile away. Strange compromise to me.

The ones around university towns tend to work because there's more there. You have more than one block of development, since the town itself is there. I can understand that.

On the subject of college towns, Athens GA had a number of development which were fairly obviously put in by people more familiar with the Atlanta market. They had these luxury townhouse communities, priced around the same level as a pretty nice single family house in the area, but not actually walkable to anything. Not surprisingly, they did very poorly.

1 person likes this.
  7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

It isn't lower price though. There is a huge development by me (one of many) in progress. There is a small shopping center which is really just a variation on the strip mall, but then they have a few condos/apartments above the stores, and they will build townhomes right up next to all of the stores, and then they have a huge apartment complex being built in the next phase. The townhomes are not small, low-income housing, and they're top of the market rates: $300-400k for a townhouse (and we're not talking luxury townhouses).

8. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I was able to secure a Bosch dishwasher last week and will be installing it.

My old dishwasher was hard wired. I thinking of hard wiring the bosh as well but think I may have my electrician come in and make an outlet instead. Does anybody have Bosch in their homes.

Also look at the pic. Where does that big rubber flap on the bottom of the electrical cord go?

Bosch 800 series.

[​IMG]

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

As far as calling an electrician in to install an outlet -- bleh. If you're putting the dishwasher in, you can install an outlet. It's two nails and three wires. Hammer and a screwdriver are all you need.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/going-outside-turns-political-in-india-toilet-drive-1486722604

11. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I've never confirmed it but a sparky once told me that installing an outlet required ,by code, a permit and an inspection. Now I realize 99% of people who can chew gum and walk would never do this but whatevs

1 person likes this.
  12. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Pretty sure there is a city around here where permits are required to change light switches.

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Maybe, but considering that he said he was going to just cut the plug off otherwise I figure it's probably the better alternative here.

99% of the work in adding an outlet is running the wire, anyway. It's hard to mess it up if you've already got one there.

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Almost everyone uses NEC so yeah. Just don't make the mistake my wife did of telling two coffee shop friends,who happened to work in the city building dept all about the nice extra room I was adding on the house. Luckily for me they just changed the subject

1 person likes this.
  15. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Thanks for the outlet remarks. But still... no answer on the rubber flap in my pic.

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

You need to be a little more specific than that . I don't see anythingt I would refer to as a "rubber flap thing"here

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Some new inspector has been assigned to my area, and he's a real nitpick motherfucker.

He should fuck his wife more often.

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I threatened to throw one off a roof once. He actually apologized but I don't recommend it

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Maybe his wife left him and he's taking it out on people?

I bought a replacement outdoor outlet kit last weekend and need to drop it in this weekend. It looks way nicer than the old one and is right where it is highly visible if sitting on the covered patio.

20. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Lolz nm