1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes. What sucks is that it's been exposed for a couple of years now...

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Not an expert but probably not a concern. Sorry to hear about the remediation.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Quote:
    It should be okay as long as it is hardened and not dust.

4. sugarbutch

I'm moderately concerned because it's a high-traffic area that we've been walking on, plus it was cut during construction. Yet another reason to hate my shitty contractor.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

There you go. Sue him for the remediation as he probably should have investigated.

6. sugarbutch

He's fucking skint. I would be more likely to get money from the folks here than from him.

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I smell a GoFundMe.

2 people like this.
  8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I had to do an asbestos abatement a couple months ago. It was $$$. :fu:

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Last September we had custom iron doors installed on the master bedroom patio door and the door in our dining area that leads to the patio. Love them so much we're going to order matching double doors for the front in June. Putting it off as we just finished having the house painted (5k, hello idfnl!) and the doors will probably be in the 4-5k as they're doubles. Will look really nice and open up the foyer nicely.

1 person likes this.
  10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I said double doors. :fence:

12. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

13. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Piob has spent more fixing his house in the last 6 months than my first house cost... can we get some goddamn pictures??

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I've decided to go ahead and convert my entire house to ductless splits.

It's going to be great to get rid of all the bulkheads and remove the inefficiency of central forced air.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A properly designed house would not have exposed bulkheads. I know mine doesn't have any. Also, all my duct work is sprayed with a sealant. They come up in a truck, plug into your duct work, and literally seal it from the inside.

I guess you're dealing with tract housing and older housing stock so I can see why you might be in the situation you are in.

1 person likes this.
  16. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

All this talk of mini splits has convinced me to put in a couple. But they're just going to be for the garages.

A while back one of the a/c hoses in my truck ruptured. The thing never worked right because the moron who put it in thought the vacuum pump sucked the old oil out and double charged it with oil (actually, it was me....). So instead of borrowing them again, I decided to invest in some real HVAC tools -- they're actually relatively cheap. It costs about as much to buy the basic set of a/c maintenance tools as it does to hire a tech once or twice. Ridiculous.

Basically what you need is a gauge set ($75), a vacuum pump (a good one is about $200), a micron vacuum gauge ($150), a leak detector ($30) and a few minor things I can't remember off hand. With those tools (and really basic electrical knowledge) you can install a car air conditioner or mini split yourself (you actually need two gauge sets since they use different fittings). Think about that when you're paying some guy a few thousand each to install those mini splits...

Mini splits come pre-charged with refrigerant; all you have to do is pull a vacuum on the lines and let her rip. For my application it's a bit harder since I'd need extra long line sets and would have to add refrigerant. With mini splits there's no way to test whether they have sufficient refrigerant; you have to add it by weight. That's actually the only way to do cars right, in my experience, also. But it's not hard. You just hang the freon tank from a scale.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Info on this stuff is scattered. I am trying to find out if there is a programmable thermostat that covers all the zones in the house. Do you know?

What brand are you going with? I am doing Mitsubishi. I need 2 separate outdoor units, one that supports 6 zones, the other supports 3. This goes with the one I already have that supports 2 zones.

It's unlikely I can tie all 11 zones with 3 outdoor units together, I know.

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

There sure ought to be. For supposedly high-tech devices mini splits sure seem to come with rudimentary controls. I don't know if they're even compatible with standard thermostats, either. I think they're mostly intended to cool studio apartments in Singapore, so the "whole [American] house" thing is probably not a priority for the makers.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Definitely not compatible with standard thermostats. I was reading about a product that runs on wifi, and sits in between, but that sounds like a nightmare to setup and is another point of failure.

I believe the standard programmable remote is for a single zone, and at $200 a pop, that's a bit too expensive when I need 11.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It sounds like you know what you're getting into, and I think we may have gone over this before, but other than getting the ducts out of the way, I can't imagine why you'd want to do this. Mini splits are expensive, somewhat intrusive to install (I guess it depends on your application, but each inside head requires its own refrigerant lines and drain, which means lots of cutting, lots of pipes run along exterior walls, etc.) and introduce a bunch more failure points.

The mini split's fabled efficiency is kind of questionable, too. If you look at the actual efficiency of the heat pumps, they tend to be comparable to conventional systems. They get those exaggerated SEER ratings from the "seasonally adjusted" bit, and it comes from their ability to run at variable speeds. How reliable the SEER ratings is compared to actual use in the real world is something I'm not sure about; I know I don't set my thermostat at 78 degrees in the summer like the government says I'm supposed to. If you want to use the mini splits for on-demand (or programmed) cooling, their actual efficiency is going to be closer to conventional systems, I think.