1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Looks great! Challenging space to work with, but I think you did well with the layout - the big island will be a godsend for prep.

2. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

That is tiny. I seem to remember that the code is 5x7 min. Not too sure how someone would have gotten that one by but its been quite some time since I've visited the UPC

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I should be working....

[​IMG]

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Can you eliminate the closet and extend the shower? I'd rather sacrifice that than a larger shower. A closet above the toilet might serve your need and give you a larger shower. Having a larger shower is really nice.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  5. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Thanks a lot, guys. It'll be tough to move from this place, since we were able to redo a lot of things to our preferences. The two things we'd like that this place doesn't have though, is a master bath and an internal staircase to the garage.

@brokencycle, it's marble.
    @jbarwick, could you have the bathroom door swing the other way, from left to right? That way when the door is open, you'd have easy access to the sink, which I think is used more than the toilet. Also when the door is open, you'd see the sink and not the toilet.

6. js4design

js4design Senior member

Do you know a local architect that you like/trust? I would ask them for recommendations. A lot of people come to my firm looking for small houses or additions and it really isn't economical for us, so we will refer them to a GC we have worked with who does small scale projects and has a good design sensibility as well as a reputation for quality timely work.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Real nice M, both kitchen and bath look fantastic!

One thing that really makes me flinch with pricing....bathtubs! If we ever replace ours I'm just going to build one from cypress.

1 person likes this.
  8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We do not. It's a shame.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

So I assume the backsplash is just the standard thickness then? I've been wondering about doing a slab of quartz for the backsplash in our new house, and I was going to look into getting it thinner than the countertop because it isn't necessary.

10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Damn a marble backsplash. Well done!

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

This.

12. sugarbutch

And since we're posting plans of small bathrooms...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

How deep is the shower?

14. sugarbutch

Not sure which "depth" you mean. It's about 5.5' x 3', and the floor is at the same level as the rest of the bathroom, pitched to the drain. We wanted to go without a threshold, but ambiguity about how the inspector would interpret the code led us to include one to guarantee compliance.

15. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Yep, I think 3/4".

Thanks. The we hate cleaning grout, so we figured we'd do stone for the countertop and backsplash. Cararra was our favorite for looks and far cheaper than the quartzite marble lookalikes.

16. chrisrock

chrisrock Member

Did not get any responses to this in the "Show me your closet." Any of you have experience living with one of the high-end prefab closets from Poliform, Motleni & C, or something similar?

[​IMG]

17. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

If you're looking for a product like marble for a backsplash and want a budget alternative, look at thin porcelain tile. You can get sheets that are up to 10' long, and they're like 6mm thick. I was impressed by the look. It's pretty reasonably priced, something like $8 a square foot for the big sheets and less for small sheets.

They tell me that you can even install it right over existing tile, although I'm not sure if that's really wise.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I definitely wouldnt do that

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My wife snagged the bigger and better walk in closet for our master suite. It's outfitted in a similar fashion and she loves it. I'm very cucked jealous.

20. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

A wise concession on your part.

1 person likes this.