1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I don't think it is wrong to ask about costs, but the cost:value curve is not linear, and maybe members are willing to move farther to the right. There is just way too many pejorative terms thrown around. Just like the "why do you need all the space" question sent your way. Maybe the question was innocent enough, but I read it with a certain tone.

There are plenty of examples where people are potentially getting ripped off (like the plumber who quoted me at $3500 for a basic 50 gallon water heater install), but there are other examples where it is simply a value judgement.

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

So the 2nd estimate for our bathroom remodel is leading me to search for another person. His pitch didn't focus on what I wanted and the "designer" he uses has bad taste in design or at least not my style. The price came in at $20-$25K.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Sounds like an attempt to cuck. Stay strong.

1 person likes this.
  4. brokencycle

Not knowing the extent of the work the first quote sounds much more in line with something reasonable.

I don't think you need a "designer," and in my limited experience contractors with designers are overpriced and the designer has zero value add. Personally, I would decide what I wanted (pick out fixtures and tile yourself), then find a plumber, electrician, and tile guy to do the work and deal with them directly.

2 people like this.
  5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I agree with this sentiment, but If it's a small project, ideally the same guy will do the plumbing, tile, and electrical. While not strictly legal (who's taking out permit to do a bathroom facelift?) It's going to be waaaaay cheaper and much more expeditious than trying to contract 3-4 separate tradesmen for that small of a job. If you're looking to keep everything permitted and legal, a GC has the benefit of having those 3-4 tradesmen at his direction, so theoretically can get things done more quickly.

3 people like this.
  6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Finding the plumber, electrician, and tile guy would be optimal but asking friends and neighbors for recommendations has not worked out. I will hopefully have 5 bids and can go from there. 2 of them are from signs posted in peoples yards around our neighborhood so I am using that as a "word of mouth" instead of straight internet searching.

7. cross22

cross22 Senior member

In my state there is provision that allows a single contractor, or even the home owner, to perform all that work as long as it is a single family dwelling and no commercial activities take place in the house.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

This. something as simple as a bathroom remodel is simple to coordinate on your own. A good plumber will probably have other trades he works with on a regular basis. I would google fu what the going rate for a bath is in my area and then have the contractors explain why their price varies,if it does. If you purchase the big ticket items on your own it sort of turns it into simply a labor rate question

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Yup

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

My bathrooms are tiled floor-to-ceiling. My thinking is that a room with water, wet towels hanging against the walls, and bodily fluids should be as impervious as possible and easy to clean. If I were building from scratch, I would spec a floor drain, choose an impervious ceiling treatment, and hose the fuckers down.

Why was lordsuperb's question out of bounds? It didn't offend idfnl, and it seems like a legit curiosity thing for someone living in a studio to wonder what another person does with 6000 s.f. I mean, I know what I'd do with 6000 s.f., but not everyone has so many hobbies...

:)

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I have 2,700sq ft and wonder what the hell you do with more. We looked at a house with 3,600sq ft and thought....we have to buy shit for all of these rooms and we will just hang out in 3-4 of them max?!?

12. sugarbutch

Most of any additional square footage in my house would be dedicated to a wood shop, metal shop, auto shop, and studio. I guess we'd add a guest suite, but other than that, I don't think we need any more rooms. I say this as a San Francisco small house dweller. We recently increased the living area in our house by ~50% and are nowhere near 2000 s.f.

13. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

What tone was that?

You should be able to get something nice for $10K - $15K. Have you not been able to work with one person or company for multiple projects? I hate jumping around to different contractors.

There's a reason why designers make good money. I've seen some questionable remodels that weren't tastefully done.

14. brokencycle

It wasn't out of bounds. It was just the tone that I read into it.

Hard to explain in text, but it was a tone that implied from the question that the amount of space he had was unreasonable (not one of trying to understand the need/want).

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That question didn't bother me at all. Same as me asking how you can live in a cricket cage. It's a nice feeling having space, and being able to be in the part of a house where you can't hear everyone elses every move. I have really sensitive hearing so it matters to me.

Interesting, because every room in my house is used.

Mine too. Here a homeowner can manage the work also, which is what I do. Considering this is why they have inspectors, it makes sense.

Definitely.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Four kids? I don't think 15k square feet would be a big enough house for me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Pretty obvious who's gonna' struggle come the apokalips

18. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

:(

3 people like this.
  19. sugarbutch

A datum for your collection: Our new bathroom, roughly the same size as yours, cost us ~$5k to tile and has about $2k in fixtures (mix of Hansgrohe and Duravit, no tub). I built the vanity myself, so add another $1k for that. That's peak market, coastal megalopolis pricing, too.

Unless you're going upmarket on fixtures, I would want to see a fair amount of change back from my $15k.

20. brokencycle

We did our 30 sq ft bathroom for <$3000.

We sourced the tile ourselves and found something we liked on clearance for 80% off.  The only large expense was the tile labor.  We did a semi-frameless shower door for like $200.  All the other fixtures (Kohler) added up to a few hundred bucks too.

I will add the tile guys I talked to hated doing really small jobs (we did the kitchen at the same time) because really you have to let things set, so if it only takes you an hour or two of labor to lay tile, you have to do that, come back the next day and grout, then come back a third day to clean and seal the grout. So unless you have multiple small jobs lined up, it is a pain for them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017