• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
Thought I'd post some pics of the progress on the kitchen. Last time I posted the demolition of a wall that held small pipes for gas lamps and large pipes for a chimney and stove. Here's a pic of the other side of that wall. THey've reframed the doorway to make it wider, and patched the floor where the fireplace was.

The floor joists under the fireplace had been cut to accomodate bricks and a metal plate, so they reinforced those:

And since the wall that hid the pipes was loadbearing, they've added framing to reinforce the old wall. So instead of a 2.5' wall with pipes inside, it'll be a 8' wide wall.

Here's the outside of the kitchen, at the back of the house, where the french doors will go. To the right is the living room, left is the mud/laundry room. The deck will be extended to meet the new doors, and the door on the left to the laundry room will be sealed. The rain gutter, of course, will be moved.

The school year has started, so I haven't done much the past couple weeks. Finished removing paint from one door and have moved on to another. Decided to do this one while it's on the hinges

And one other little project, other than some of gardening -- I bought a capiz shell lamp from World Market (mea culpa re WM, but go Philippines!). Couldn't find any pendant fixtures that would fit, so I used a dremel tool to widen the opening and now one from Lowes fits.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Here's a wider shot of the back, showing the living room windows that the doors will match:

We're thinking of putting a glass roof to cover the space between the three walls. Someday.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wow, that is one helluva extensive project. Don't think I could live through that.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Just reading code requirements for fences.
ffffuuuu.gif

Fence will not meet code. We have wrought iron and there's 48" between horizontal members and code requires 60". I bet when this house was built several years ago that fence met code as many neighbors have pools with the exact same fence. This could be yet another thing that kills the project. We need to sell and just rent an apartment.

That's thinking like you're rich. Plus, you escape the petty tyranny of an HOA. Two birds, one stone.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Emailed the contractor yesterday and not heard from him today. Maybe he doesn't even want to address my points and we're done.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Emailed the contractor yesterday and not heard from him today. Maybe he doesn't even want to address my points and we're done.

It sounds like you really don't want the project to go forward. Why not hold off for a bit?

i10casual

Reaction score
So on home insurance claims do people usually have to pay more deductible even if the claim check has it taken out already. Pay to the contractor as per law I mean. But it's already taken out of the check the insurance agency gave me so I'm confused. Any help or ideas are much appreciated.

I had roof damage and after arbitration I received an award finally.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

It sounds like you really don't want the project to go forward. Why not hold off for a bit?

If I wasn't ready for it I'd not have spent this much energy on it but I'm an old hand at deal making so I'd rather walk away vs. agreeing to a deal I'm not really happy with and particularly one this size. I also got a call from the contractor after I posted that; he's headed out to the house tomorrow to do some measuring of my fence components and offer some solutions. That's what I'm talking about. :)

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If I wasn't ready for it I'd not have spent this much energy on it but I'm an old hand at deal making so I'd rather walk away vs. agreeing to a deal I'm not really happy with and particularly one this size. I also got a call from the contractor after I posted that; he's headed out to the house tomorrow to do some measuring of my fence components and offer some solutions. That's what I'm talking about. :)

How big is this enclosure that you're building for Harambe?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"Enclosure" is just contractor speak for walls and fences around your yard.

brokencycle

Reaction score
"Enclosure" is just contractor speak for walls and fences around your yard.

That would be for the greater good - fencing off GF's place rather than yours. Plus you can be cheap about it because you don't have to look at it.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That would be for the greater good - fencing off GF's place rather than yours.  Plus you can be cheap about it because you don't have to look at it.

I live in a gated community now? I han arrived!

:slayer:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GFs' new home

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's on like Donkey Kong! :slayer:

All my negotiation points were met including removing the clauses from the contract that I requested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads