1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Ah, good to know. Thanks, B.

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We have State Farm insurance and they have been fine. Easy to work with when I recently hit a deer in my car. When we refinanced our house, our Loan Officer said our insurance rates were high but it is just a pain to shop around insurance. We have home, auto, jewelry, and an umbrella policy.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

No pull opinion other than not the one that hits the cabinet. You can't go wrong and you probably have bigger decisions to make.

lefty

2 people like this.
  4. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Would second Miele, just love our Miele dishwasher. We had a couple of Bosch dishwashers at my previous place of work, but the perceived level of quality compared to Miele was much lower, even if the Bosch had the same three rack configuration as Miele has it wasn't the same.

That said, our Miele DW died last summer after just 7 years, but when it came to replacing it I had no doubts about replacing it with a new Miele.

Also, Miele owns Gaggenau.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

7 years? That's horrid.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, Def cuck territory.

1 person likes this.
  7. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Yeah, 7 years, so effing annoyed. But still couln't myself buying anything else but Miele.

8. 660

660 Well-Known Member

:foo:

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I don't get this perceived quality. I think stove people are looking to justify the price tag. Not every obscure in America German appliance is better.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'd say that about their vacuums, but a 7 year dishwasher? And you'd buy another? Ibid sugarbutch

11. DaveCPA

DaveCPA Well-Known Member

We're looking at painting our home (two-stories, 2600 sqft) and the guy that did the outside ($6,500) said the inside would cost about the same.

Does that seem reasonable? It seemed high to me. I'm in Georgia.

12. js0930

js0930 Senior member

How many colors? How much trim? How much prep? Really hard to judge without that info.

13. DaveCPA

DaveCPA Well-Known Member

Trim at the floor and ceiling in every room. Not sure how many colors. Maybe three....

I'm an idiot when it comes to that sort of thing (hence my lack of information on the first post), so it would need to be done start to finish.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Much, much too high. Go back about 7 pages for the grand debate.

15. brokencycle

For a basic paint job, that sounds high. Ask him how long he thinks it will take and that will give you a rough $/hr.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Get idfnl to sign off or cuck.

3 people like this.
  17. otc

otc Senior member

While, admittedly, I would probably look to the germans if I were shopping...my whirlpool dishwasher is just fine.

It is probably some contractor-grade appliance bought in a matching set with the stove/fridge/microwave, but it it works fine. My dishes get clean. It has different modes including a 4-hour delay. I am capable of loading stuff into it. It isn't too loud. It has sprayers on top and bottom rack. I always turn off heat dry on my dishwashers, but I assume that works fine too. It doesn't have a stainless liner or fancy whatevers...but the new and improved version of it costs four hundred bucks.

18. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

My GF looked at another house on a pocket listing this past week without me (I wasn't in town) and really liked it. Similar pricing to the previous one, but seemed like everything the previous house wanted to do. Only concerns are that landscaping will need a fair amount of money put in to make it look good, some minor things need replaced (fridge at some point because the GE side by side looks fairly narrow and we're going to go with a Viking top fridge-bottom freezer, light fixtures, etc.). But the biggest issues I can see would be storage (master closet is narrow and I doubt would fit all of her clothes, let alone my suits/shirts/trousers) and the fact that it's all one floor plus basement that's one big entertaining room with a bedroom and the only basement bath off the bedroom. Weird flow it sounds like, and we'd have to convert the basement bedroom into a storage room, which would be viewable to anyone in the basement that has to use the facilities.

There's a house that's been on the market for almost two years not too far away that's double the price, and double the square footage, but would be the ideal home we'd live in forever. She's concerned about the size (5500 sq ft is a lot of house), but the landscaping is stunning at that house and there's probably 3 minor things that need to be done. And of course about the price (which is the main reason why it's been on the market for so long. No houses have moved in that price range in the city in 5 years. Not a concern considering we would live there for 30+ years, but still a concern nonetheless when it comes to selling)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Well, cucks, I just relamped a good portion of the house using my Werner 12ft A-frame ladder. LEDs ftw.

2 people like this.
  20. brokencycle

You didn't use a German made ladder?