1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Any one bought a HUD home or other house that needed repairs? Worried about my ability to get financing on it :(

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I have a big project I plan to do in a couple of years to finish this house off right. Thinking of adding a whole house generator onto the list.

4. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

has anybody made the switch to a tankless water heater recently. We'll be putting in a new one and moving to a tankless seems like a no-brainer as far as energy/cost savings and lifespan of the equipment. I know to get something with a proper GPM for my household but can anyone speak to a certain brand to purchase or avoid?

5. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Pio, Generator is a beautiful thing to have in place when the need arises. Great idea.

1 person likes this.
  6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You might consider an AO Smith Vertex:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

that is an intense promo

8. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    This is just another water tank system, which is the dumb and wasteful idea. Sort of like top-loading washers.
    Definitely go tankless.
    The idea that they are selling that without tank you cannot have enough hot water during peak demands is simply baseless marketing lie.

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Last I checked, tankless water heaters took a decade or more (often two decades) to pay for themselves. But in the meantime you get to enjoy water that's not consistently hot and doesn't flow enough to shower while washing dishes. A guy I know swears by them--but he has three in his house.

Around here the attics are so damn hot most of the year, water heaters don't have much work to do to keep their tanks hot.

10. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

tank style water heaters are $350-1000 with a lifespan of 12 years, tank-less are $800-1400 with a 20 year lifespan and energy cost savings of 30% or about $100/yr for a 2 person home, savings seem substantial enough for me. Price varies with volume for tank-style and output (gpm) for the tank-less. If your friend has 3 it's because he probably bought multiple lower priced units small outputs,

11. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

You only run out of hot water when you have a water tank to draw water from. Tankless water heaters by design cannot run out of hot water, unless of course they are broken and need replacement.
    Tankless heaters also heat the house if you have water heating system like I do. No variation in water pressure or water temperature with tankless heaters.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Isn't there significantly more maintenance with a tank-less system?

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I lived in Europe for a while and liked the tank-less system. I also didn't experience problems of any real significance, although technically if you turn too many taps on at once you could struggle with maintaining temp.

14. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

im seeing a little about that, i cant imagine its a great deal more than maintenance for regular water heaters but if it results in a longer product lifespan than it makes since to me...is it just a routine flushing, can anyone elaborate?

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Tankless heaters have to decide how much water to heat, and it takes time for the water to work its way through the maze of pipes inside it. For whatever reason, they tend to put out water with significant variations in temperature when you vary the demand. I'm hardly the only one who's noticed this.

Also, tankless heaters don't run out of water; they run out of the ability to heat the water to your desired temperature when too much water is pulled through. Maybe if you use Government Approved 1.5 gallon-per-minute shower heads and faucets everywhere they can handle it. But where water isn't scarce, that sucks. And try filling a tub with one.

Those numbers are based on very unrealistic assumptions about how much water will be used. Real people use way more water, and the more you use the better the tank style heater does.

But don't take my word for it. Here's the top three hits from google:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...eaters/overview/tankless-water-heaters-ov.htm

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/are-tankless-water-heaters-waste-money

[​IMG]

http://www.fplblog.com/energy-efficiency/does-a-tankless-water-heater-save-money/

In Florida:

16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I'm as skeptical on tankless heaters as anyone, in particular 20-year-lifespan claims that are, at the moment, essentially completely unsubstantiated...

...but that article is 5 years old. That's an eternity when we're talking about evolving technologies and markets.

EDIT: I was honing in on the CR article - but the Green Building Advisor article is from April 2012, put out by what is obviously a green building advocate, and is pretty damning.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. otc

otc Senior member

I dunno..I can run my parents tank style heater down in a single shower.

Not to where it goes completely cold, but I have to keep turning down the cold water more and more. Seems like it is using up the hot water and replacing it with lukewarm water that hasn't been fully heated yet as the tank refills itself. And even with the tank, you can lose temp when someone uses the other taps (well maybe not with a 1.5gpm showerhead, but certainly with a higher flow setup where turning on a top cuts the flow rate and means you get more cold water in the mix).

A tankless system might still have problems when multiple people use the taps (which...how often does that really happen?), but at least it can keep pumping out hot water forever.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I wonder if water hardness impacts life expectancy of tankless more than tanks. It just seems to me the nature of the two methods would lead to tankless getting hit faster by hard water. Could be wrong and having a water softener would stop that anyway.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I think its substantiated, these systems have not been popular in the US but have been used abroad for decades.

20. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

This just sounds like your parents' water heater is undersized or is turned down too low (for the energy savings!).

I hope you own your own home, and are just bringing your folks' house in as an anecdotal counterpoint.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013