• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
OK guys, I'm back for some more advice. The contractor had the plumber install new pipes on the inside too. And he made one decision we may ask him to change. Before, the sink was centered under the window. But he had the plumber move the pipes a few inches to the right, to center it between the tub and the toilet. You can see where the drain pipe used to be, under that small piece of wood about six inches left of where it is now:

Would you center it under the window or between the tub and toilet? It's only a few inches, so not a huge deal. But it might bug my wife and me.
Another thing to consider is whether we'd want more room next to the tub or next to the toilet. What do you all think?

Below is a pic of the outside pipe I took for @Numbernine . Sorry it's a bad pic. Couldn't take a pic outside, since there's scaffolding there, and the electricians were working, so I just quickly snuck in and stuck my phone out the window.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you center it under the window or between the tub and toilet?  It's only a few inches, so not a huge deal.  But it might bug my wife and me.  
Another thing to consider is whether we'd want more room next to the tub or next to the toilet.  What do you all think?

Then the question is whether you prefer to optimize the aesthetics or to optimize your workspace around the tub/toilet? I tend to prefer function over form.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Depends on the sink. If you're going for a pedestal or something, under the window. If you're going for a medium to large vanity between the two.

emptym

Reaction score
Then the question is whether you prefer to optimize the aesthetics or to optimize your workspace around the tub/toilet? I tend to prefer function over form.
Good thought. The only things I had considered regarding function were two:
1) Centering under the window gives a bit more space between the sink and toilet, which is probably the best place for a trash can.
2) Centering to the tub and toilet gives a bit more space between the tub and sink, allowing for easier scrubbing of the tub.

But again, it's only a few inches either way. I'm not sure the function increases a lot, either way. But if there's anything you can think of I'd appreciate your letting me know.

Here's a pic of the old bathroom from before we bought it. It shows a sink w/ cabinet. We'll have a pedestal sink (@brokencycle ). So I think that even with the sink that close to the tub, we'll have room to clean:

One decision recently was easy, a recessed ceramic TP holder, like this one:

Which reminds me that we need to decide how high the tile wainscotting will go. I'm leaning toward just under the window, above the sink, and then stepping down a bit behind the toilet and around the side wall. But maybe it should be even like in the pic above. As always, recommendations appreciated. We've decided on white, epoxy grout. I think I asked that question already (white or gray, regular or epoxy).

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OK guys, I'm back for some more advice.  The contractor had the plumber install new pipes on the inside too.  And he made one decision we may ask him to change.  Before, the sink was centered under the window.  But he had the plumber move the pipes a few inches to the right, to center it between the tub and the toilet.  You can see where the drain pipe used to be, under that small piece of wood about six inches left of where it is now:

I can't really see anything in your picture -- but you know the drain pipe can be (and usually is, iirc) offset from the actual drain, right? For the trap.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would keep the wainscoting even around the room. Establish a datum which will work as a reference for the whole room.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would keep the wainscoting even around the room. Establish a datum which will work as a reference for the whole room.

Gotta agree here. One even line all across the room is probably the best all in all. Looks more continuous and more planned out. I lived in a house with different levels and it made you think that the tiles fell off in places.

Looking great by the way

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would center it on the window as long as you maintain the legal clearance for the WC. Thanks for the pic . Yeah thats no-hub the modern-day equivalent of the old CI lead and oakum. It'll last forever but if you need to change it in any way its a lot easier.

emptym

Reaction score
^The contractor already ruled that out.

Went to the house today and my wife decided she'd rather it was centered to the window, so I asked him to move it back. Other little decisions made: leave the mirrored medicine cabinet where the old one was but get a new metal housing to replace the old wooden one. The contractor already decided to reframe the entire right wall to accomodate a standard TP holder and cabinet. I asked him if we could use push button switches, like these, but the electrician countered that it wouldn't match the switches required for the exhaust fan. So we're sticking w/ standard white switches.

Regarding tile height, what do you recommend for the tub, wainscoting, and transition between the two?

Am thinking either plain subway tile all the way up to the ceiling or subway up 7-8" and tile railing around the tub like around the wainscoting. Am leaning toward the first, since it's more practical and the tile raling looks a little too much like putting a tub in a picture frame, basically this:

or this (imagining the tile went up to the ceiling)?:

Back to windows, our contractor worked to free all of them, so almost all of them function. The few that don't have broken couterbalance weight cords. And for most of them the wood is rotting in places, particularly the lower sashes' bottom rails. So he recommends keeping the frames/casing, but replacing all current windows with new, wood-framed double-paned ones. Currently the windows are double-hung. But he recommeds having only the bottom ones move, since it'd be a lot cheaper, with much of the cost difference being the need to buy new weights. Why, I didn't understand.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does the tub have walls on two or three sides?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads