1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I dislike the smell and taste. Same reason I swim in a saltwater pool.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

SWG (salt water generators) actually create chlorine through electrolysis and will have roughly the same chlorine levels as the traditional method of sanitizing your pool. SWG also requires a bit higher cyanuric acid levels to prevent the rapid breakdown of the free chlorine.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Just got quoted $5500 for a tankless water heater or $2500 for a standard 50 gallon. That seems super high. Almost $2k for labor replacing a water heater? Another $3000 for redoing it for a tankless.

4. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Had mine done in CT, was 3k total to replace a side boiler, install the tankless, and run some extragas pipe for a heater. Very fair price. Yours does seem high depending where you are

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

He's smelling a Yankee.

6. brokencycle

Well, I do live in the Yankee Containment Zone.
    That sounds more like what I was expecting. The water heater is in the garage on an exterior wall already. My wife was there when the first guy came, and all she said was there was something about it currently not being vented "normally."

Edit: Guy called back. The house is a direct vent, so my thinking is it should be cheaper because basically they just have to plug the vent into the hole in the wall and be done. Called to get some more quotes.

I also hate how they try sizing tankless on number of bathrooms. Why does it matter? Just because I live in a house with 75 bathrooms doesn't mean they aren't all getting used at once.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. cross22

cross22 Senior member

I believe you chlorinate the well/pipes once to kill the bacteria. It is much easier to filter the chlorine for a few days than the bacteria forever.

1 person likes this.
  8. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

If it's just an in place replacement, I'd do it myself if I were you.

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The hardest part of replacing a water heater is just getting them in and out. If it's in the garage, that's easy. Also, just because it's old doesn't mean it's going to spring a leak soon. Water heaters have replaceable anti-corrosion rods, so it's possible (admittedly unlikely) that the heater has been maintained and is going to keep on ticking just fine. And if it's in the garage, it shouldn't be able to damage anything if it does. Right?

If I was going to get it replaced (and felt like paying someone $2000 to do it), I'd have them move it into the attic if it's feasible.

10. brokencycle

My guess, based on the lack of maintenance on other things in the house, is that it wasn't well maintained. The water heater is 18 years old and is wrapped in one of those wrapped in insulation. I rather replace it before it is an emergency. I agree, I'm not willing to pay someone $2000 to replace it. The first thing I did to the last house was replace the water heater, and it was like $200 for labor through Lowe's which included disposal and permits, and that was a normal venting heater in the basement.

My reason for looking at tankless is because I figured the labor shouldn't be that much more due to the ease of venting and thus the payback period is pretty short.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

$2000 is a ripoff.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm surprised on one has raised the fact if you don't chop your own wood, and heat your water in a boiling cauldron, you're a cuck.

2 people like this.
  13. 1969

1969 Senior member

I paid 4K and that included having it relocated from inside the house to the outside wall. Plumbers are expensive, more so if you live in a big city or look like you browse mens' clothing forums.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We had our water heater replaced along with other plumbing and I think they charged $1,500 just because we were having a lot done. I think tankless was something in the $4,000+ range and $5,500 sounds about right but it has been 2 years.

15. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Take a picture I'll walk you through it. Plumbers are bandits, rat(non union)plumbers are the worst. They are already screwing their employees what makes you think they are going to hesitate to screw you

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

What can really bump the price on a tankless is venting . I strongly discourage an indoor install ,besides they are really noisy.

17. brokencycle

How loud? I didn't realize they were loud, but it would be in the garage. My biggest concern about doing it is two fold:

1. I don't have the tools for soldering/welding, and I have only done a trivial amount in my lifetime
    2. Moving one of those big tanks seems like a huge pain in the ass.

If the other quotes aren't any better, I might take you up on the offer though. For a union guy, you're alright. [​IMG]

18. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Closed this afternoon. Been a long process with the build and glad to have it done with. Moved a bunch of stuff this evening that we don't want the movers to take. They'll be here first thing in the morning. Just opened some Ruinart blanc de blancs.

Spoke to the water company too and got them down on the price for the UV filter, so should have the system up tomorrow afternoon (though UV may be delayed a few days). Propane was installed over the weekend and is all good. Temporary blinds go up tomorrow while the custom shutters are being made. Refrigerator delivery also tomorrow. Went with the big ass Samsung chef collection.

Will be nice to sit on the back patio with a fire going this weekend, a smoke and some bourbon.

5 people like this.
  19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's an interesting thought, it has never crossed my mind to have a hot water heater on the outside of the home, minus the solar heating systems I've seen.

Does this really have efficacy? It seems like having this prone to weather is a risk to the longevity of the unit.