• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's insistence on humane mouse traps has led me to never catching the mouse that hangs out in our garage.

In other news I am almost done prepping the bedroom I have been working on for paint. After fixing quite a few nail pops I quickly sanded the walls thus revealing a few more to fix. We have a color picked out and are going with Benjamin Moore paint after the insistence of people in this thread.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We used Benjamin Moore to paint the bedroom we just added. Coverage was much better than the Lowe's/Home Depot paints we've used before. But, ****, that **** is expensive.

Also: I hate drywall. It may be the shittiest material this side of vinyl siding.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife's insistence on humane mouse traps has led me to never catching the mouse that hangs out in our garage.  

In other news I am almost done prepping the bedroom I have been working on for paint.  After fixing quite a few nail pops I quickly sanded the walls thus revealing a few more to fix.  We have a color picked out and are going with Benjamin Moore paint after the insistence of people in this thread.

This trap wasn't powerful enough to kill so I had to drown them after they got trapped.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We used Benjamin Moore to paint the bedroom we just added. Coverage was much better than the Lowe's/Home Depot paints we've used before. But, ****, that **** is expensive.

Also: I hate drywall. It may be the shittiest material this side of vinyl siding.

What price per gallon? I spent something like $42-ish per gallon for top of the line Valspar from Lowe's and felt it had great coverage which is why I wondered about switching but might as well give it a shot.

This trap wasn't powerful enough to kill so I had to drown them after they got trapped.

We have these ridiculous glue traps that my mother-in-law gave us and my wife (naive) asked he its kill a mouse. My MIL told her you just throw it in a bucket of water after it sticks and the look on my wife's face was priceless. For some reason we still have those around but have never used them.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This reminds me of a local story from a few years ago, though I remember the man that drowned them freely admitted it to animal control when he returned the traps with no cats, thinking it was no big deal.

Norge Man Accused Of Drowning Five Cats

Yeah, some animals are more equal than others. It didn't surprise me to see it was a farmer. Animal death is normal to them.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think I told this story before. A buddy in small town NJ trapped a squirrel that was wreaking havoc in his attic and he decided to drown it in the pond of a local park. At night. Cops roll up and asked him what the hell he was doing. He explains and the cops tell him to stop. If he really wants to kill it, they explain, he has to drag the cage out to the deeper water.

Having an animal dilemma at my cabin. It's basically an acre or so cut out of the woods with buildings surrounding a small pond. It is grand central terminal of songbirds and we watch them flit about all day. But there's no real view as the woods are dense and we want to open it up. I can knock back trees and clear a view and have dropped about 30 small trees and cleared a lot of undergrowth.

We just closed on the neighbouring property which is similar in size but clear cut. I noticed this weekend that there isn't a single bird on the property. So now we're deciding between a view or birds.

Having a forester come by this weekend to advise, but I'm really torn.

lefty

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah the other week after setting up a few mouse snap traps and watching the little guy sniff and them and walk away and run under my door, I set up some of those glue ones... whoever says they're humane is wrong. I woke up at 3 am to a mouse screeching for it's life and it was a horrible thing to hear. I had to carry this struggling little mouse trying to escape but glued to a pad outside and leave it there overnight and then find it dead in the morning and toss it. Honestly was a terrible experience for both of us. Snap traps are quick, simple, and if you want it dead then it's the fastest way to do it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're leaning that way. There's a nest of baby robins 15' from the back deck, swallows building a nest in the roof joists (may not let that happen next year), a juvenile red tail hawk that hunts near my compost bin, a pileated woodpecker that loves my old wood pile, orioles that chase each other in and out of the large trees; wrens, sparrows, hummingbirds and chickadees.

As I write this I realize my decision has been made.

^ glue traps are horrible.

lefty

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's better than having concrete walls.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I must disagree. I would love to have concrete walls.

jbar, I think we paid something like $65/gallon.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah the other week after setting up a few mouse snap traps and watching the little guy sniff and them and walk away and run under my door, I set up some of those glue ones... whoever says they're humane is wrong. I woke up at 3 am to a mouse screeching for it's life and it was a horrible thing to hear. I had to carry this struggling little mouse trying to escape but glued to a pad outside and leave it there overnight and then find it dead in the morning and toss it. Honestly was a terrible experience for both of us. Snap traps are quick, simple, and if you want it dead then it's the fastest way to do it.

That's why you drown them. Don't let them sit and die of exposure.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Planning, my man! Run conduit in the concrete, sized to future proof. Or build chases into your plan.

I don't recall the specific version of paint, and since we've returned all of our stuff from the storage unit we were renting, it's buried behind a ton of crap I wish I didn't own. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads