1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My parents have used their gas fireplace consistently for 25 years. Doesn't tend to be on during events because, surprise, it gets hot when you have a bunch of people over.

People know whether they want wood burning or not. I like gas fireplaces, especially the ones like Piob posted that aren't pretending to be a wood burning.

2 people like this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Was exactly our thinking in choice. Let it be what it is and don't try to imitate what it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, the scent and crackling is great, but the constant tending and adding logs plus the cleanup? We had a wood burning in this new house and swapped it out for what we have.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I like wood burning, but it has to be a nice raised hearth, otherwise a big pain to stoop down and make one. Also, it's not a convenient or inexpensive task to keep a good stock of good quality and well seasoned firewood. Couple that with the inability to just shut the fire off if you need to leave the house - I also understand the appeal of a gas fireplace.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My house doesn't even have a chimney (it did before the previous owners renovated), but it wasn't really a factor for me. My wife loves the idea of wood burning fireplaces, but there's no way she was going to do any of the nonsense involved with actually running a wood burning fireplaces and I sure don't want to.

I've seen WAAAY more unused woodburning fireplaces than gas. Like, "have never been used in decades" unused. My whole neighborhood has chimneys and it's pretty obvious when someone runs a fire. Almost nobody does. Ever. Maybe 1/20 has wood stocked outside. It's pretty much a lifestyle choice. Anybody can pop their gas set on from time to time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

We've sat in front of our fireplace, turned on of course, every morning for the past week. Pretty much every morning we're home, and it's cool enough, we sit in front of it to start the morning off.

I am supposing our gas firepit, that we also use nightly weather appropriate, is awful? Have sat outside in front of it five of the last six nights. Awful.

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I admit that I prefer wood burning for the reasons mentioned, but our new house has a gas fireplace, and I see getting quote a but if use or if it.

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Our gas fireplace runs probably 12hrs a day on weekends when it is cold. My old dog just lays in front of it and gets sad when it is not on. We do have a 2nd wood burning fireplace in our basement/walkout garage that is part of a room we use for storage. I think the builder of the house would warm the garage and hang out there with it but at some point it was closed off into a room.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sitting in front of our awful, trash spec, fake fireplace right now. Very relaxing and cozy. Think I'll use the remote to crank it up to its highest setting. ;)

9. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

You must feel so empty inside dealing with the k owledge that your fireplace ia a the height of a design nightmare and there ia nothing you can do about it short of living in a 1780 farmhouse with a center stack chimney! You poor pathetic man

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There are lots of people that don't use a fireplace of any form. Probably many more than do use one. Fake fireplaces are part of spec homes now, I get it, people like convenience.

For my own home, I like the ritual associated with acquiring and chopping wood, and having the wood staged for the winter with a good mix of levels of dryness, etc. And I like the ritual of getting up before everyone and getting the stove going so that its warm when everyone is up. I like the smell, and the skill it takes to keep a proper fire going all day.

It's a lifestyle choice, and I would never buy a house with gas fireplace. When I see an adult male playing around with a gas fireplace and I look at those fake logs in there, I can't help but see a cuck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Spec homes. Fake logs. Cuck. Doesn't it make sense this asshole is alt-right?

And it's a skill to keep a fire going? :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  12. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I strongly prefer having a wood burning fireplace, but I completely get why people would want gas.

For me, like Gib and idfnl said, it's basically a lifestyle choice. I enjoy the ritual of keeping the wood pile, building and maintaining the fire, etc. Wood burning is also what I think of when I think "fireplace," and I've never seen a gas setup that replaces the things I like about wood burning enough to make me want to switch.

That said, I'd be lying if I didn't envy the convenience of gas fireplaces, especially when I'm ready for bed and there's still a log burning (or when I discover that yet another firewood guy has a very flexible definition of "seasoned").

If I did give in and go gas, I'd definitely go with something like Piob posted and not one of the fake-log setups. I've never seen a fake-log fireplace that didn't look kind of ridiculous to me.

2 people like this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Wood pile. I no longer have a pick up so I'd have to get it delivered meaning they pick my wood for me. In the decade plus we used a wood burning fireplace I noticed a pretty distinct difference in the quality I'd load myself vs. what showed up with a delivery.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm all in on what's nice about wood burning but made the choice to go gas. Now we have the fireplace on weeknights vs. only weekend days/nights we are staying home. For me the ease of use was the deciding factor and we also really like the looks of our install. I think we all agree the fake log is not the way to go but rather let a gas FP be what it is.

My choice would be wood in other situations. A rural cottage? Wood. A rural or ex-burb home farther north in retirement? Wood. But for busy professionals? In our new house, three years with a wood burning FP and never used it once. This one we use all the time.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The uneven heating of a real fireplace coupled with the subtle aroma of natural gas. What's not to love? If I could get away with it, I'd rip mine out in a heartbeat.

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Our last place had a gas FP with fake logs - I hated it, but would use it on cold weekend mornings because it at least blew the heat back into the room. We put a stone fire pit outside and it was great.

Now we have 2 wood burning fireplaces (family room and the back patio) going in to our new place, both with gas starters.

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'd like to have a gas fireplace on the outside of my house, or at least one that you could use inside or outside. I'd use my outside patio in a larger variety of weather if I could take the chill out of the air.

17. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Coastal California has chilly evenings even in pleasant weather you see a lot of these around in restaurants and such
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

With a 1 year old and 3.5 year old I see my normal fireplace in the main living room mostly as a liability and so far this winter have yet to do fire #1. The 'rents have a gas. Sure, you can put it down a la an automatic car (lazy, wimpy etc) but I can see the old man just flicks on the fire and the TV after a long day at work in one second flat all winter long. Who's gonna be starting a fire with kindling and newspaper and logs every single weeknight when you're exhausted? Nobody. Then you got your wood cache you need to replenish constantly. More errands. Fuck that.

*though a dead tree was felled just a week ago in my backyard so I have no excuse on not doing at least a few Sunday fires this January.
    [​IMG]

19. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

That's why you get a gas starter.

1 person likes this.
  20. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

We replaced both wood fireplaces with gas...one sealed insert and one open log set. Both get used far more often than they did as wood burning. Total cost was about $8k as I recall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone who associates using a wood fire with their masculinity has issues far beyond their internet tough guy persona.

5 people like this.