1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I want to talk Mrs. BC into a twice a month housekeeper to do some of the stuff everyone hates to do. Her womanly pride is hurt for some reason though.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Mrs. Piob claims it's fear for the cats. As the housekeeper would visit during the day while we're both working she's afraid one or more of the cats might get let out. I think it's highly unlikely, as I'd make sure to vet the whole thing well and stress the concern, but I don't push it because god forbid it actually happens after I force the issue.

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Mrs 9 has a full time housekeeper and cook

3 people like this.
  4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Termites are American problem they don't live in Europe or Asia ,thank god. How is that possible then that most suburban houses in US are made of wood? Even frame construction, which is so prevalent in US has not switched to steel and is still done in wood. I just don't fucking understand it, is it that much cheaper to build in wood even today?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The thing I don't get about termites is that it's fairly easy and cheap to treat the bottom part of the studs with borates that will largely prevent termites from eating them, when the house is being built, but no one does it. Is it because it adds $100 to the cost of the house?

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yes, I believe steel is substantially more expensive, at least that's what my architect told me, so I never bothered quoting a price.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

There are so many variables, it's really tough to compare two situations. But gas prices are low, electric heating costs more, high-efficiency air conditioners aren't as much more efficient as they appear, etc. An average savings of $100 per month seems very unrealistic to me, unless you're living in a mansion in Florida or something.

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I don't know why wood is still so prevalent in residential. Metal studs have been the norm in commercial stuff for quite awhile . I would guess it has something to do with bearing wall strength/labor/material cost tradeoff. I will be skiing with my friend who is an authority on this kind of stuff in a couple days I'll ask him. Ill ask about the preservative treatment too.

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Won't wooden walls have insufficient support for large glass-plate windows (mid century style)? Is that why most construction in US has oddly small windows, cause wooden frame would not support anything else?.
    OMG, :embar: I think I cracked the mystery of tiny windows in US homes. :slayer:

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Some stick frames are built with shear walls and are extremely stable and strong. All my walls, both exterior and interior, are sheared. Also great for reducing noise transmission.

1 person likes this.
  11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I was planning to turn the units on and off when those spaces were not in use for extended periods, so I think some of the savings would happen that way. While there are some drawback to a split system, the fact that h/ac conditions the entire house when normally only a tiny portion of it is in use at one time is like having all the lights on all the time, which nobody would do.

Now granted it takes time to temperature a room, if you keep it at a relatively low/high temperature it gets conditioned pretty quickly. But for example, why am I heating and cooling the downstairs at night when we are all upstairs sleeping?

Lastly, the different people in the house can heat and cool their spaces to their preference.

12. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Seening a house shake so hard you can't believe it didn't jump off the foundation or crumble in a pile gives you a healthy respect for wood frame construction

3 people like this.
  13. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Mass home building in the US has been a thing since WW2 The vast majority of houses built since then conform to the typical methods and procedures that inform that sort of effort

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I prefer heavy timber to steel, but prefer steel to light timber. That said, I'm certain that steel and glass houses are more expensive to build because you need to hire someone capable to build them.

Iron workers bill out over $100 per man hour,

15. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Heavy timber has been pretty much replaced by glue lam . A friend of mine recently did a major remodel/ addition. He did the work himself and used a steel I beam . I'll ask him why . Knowing him though it was probably about cost

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Glue lam is what I used in my addition, much cheaper and easier to install than steel beams.

17. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I'm going to guess that the windows has something to do with climate. Even though places like Germany are further north than almost everywhere in the US, they enjoy a much more temperate climate. Having giant holes in your house with what used to be very inefficient windows probably wasn't a good idea, and as #9 said, much of the stylistic trends have followed from the past rather than changing with new technology.

1 person likes this.
  18. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Scandinavian apartment buildings from 1950-60 have panoramic windows the size of which I have never seen in US. Private houses have those giant windows also. They love to have a view and bit of nature in front of the window in the North.
    Demand large windows! Let's make windows Big Again!

1 person likes this.
  19. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Wood is more than stick framing. Our place is entirely built from solid Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT). It's structurally as strong as you can get and can support windows as large and heavy as you like... we have south-facing solid-wood framed triple-glazed windows, which are around 7' long and 5' high.

2 people like this.
  20. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I'm not certain I have ever seen a wood frame structure over 3 stories that was built since the early part of the last century but because of the nature of what I did I rarely worked in these type buildings
    Actually I have worked in these guys . That is all wood framing on the inside
    [​IMG]