1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Listas are nice. We have a ton of them at work and they've held up to pretty much daily use for years now.

2. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

5 people like this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not to be a one upper, but I was pretty handy fixing my BMX bike.

Anyway, what's an airframe?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So Kobalt is okay stuff? Keep in mind I'm not setting up a home shop and might not use a tool all year; it's just handy to have a basic level of tools for small things that might come up.

Gib, it looks like you were right as I confused whatever it was I saw at ACE yesterday with an online Lowes ad. Here's the set I got an email about: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-Piece-Standard-Sae-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-Hard/50200795

Tools that come in their own toolbox like that are good for me so I don't misplace things.

5. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Ima Milwaukee power tools man mehself. Mostly I just like the logo. :p

Makita once had halo status among the trades I was told. Back during Japan's late 80s/early 90s heyday. Not sure if it still does. Possibly this status dissipated a la Sony tv's.

1 person likes this.
  6. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I like logo so much I brought my Milwaukee drill with me to Europe. Charge it through a transformer.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've got some Makita I've had for probably 15 years. Still works great but replaced the batteries a few years ago from Amazon. I figure another 15 years and then I'll be too old to bother doing anything around the house.

8. SirReveller

Cmon. WWNND?

#nevertooold

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The quality of most "cheap" mechanic's tools [and hand tools in general] has gone up a lot in the last decade or so. Craftsman's not included, though. The selling points used to be that they were made in the USA and that you could pop into Sears and get them replaced any time they failed.

Nowadays, for the most part Craftsman isn't made in the USA anymore, and a lifetime warranty from Sears is a lie unless you're in your 80s.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Oh, and don't get me started about Craftsman power tools. They're the same Chinese-made junk everybody else sells. Once upon a time, Sears was known for making available repair parts for things they sold. I got a Craftsman shop vac from Sears a few years ago, and after a year or two [shortly after the warranty expired] it just didn't come on anymore. I assumed that the switch had failed (it feels really cheap), so I went online to see what it would cost. Guess what parts were available for the shop vac?

Part #1 - Power Head. And it was $50 more than the whole thing cost.

That was it (other than grossly overpriced accessories).

I ended up taking the thing apart, and they didn't make it easy. Tamper resistant screws to discourage you from opening it up. Deep inside I found the problem -- a fusible link. Whether that was there for some kind of liability CYA or government regulation, I have no idea. But completely useless and seemingly designed to make the whole thing quit working some day. And the wires were so short I had to splice in a new one to get rid of it.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm glad I don't do handyman stuff around the house. Tools are seeming like they're a big pain to those that frequently use them. :(

12. SirReveller

I leave all works of true craftsmanship to these Polish carpenters. No one approaches that level skillzmenzship.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's nice you're tossing a little work to wojt.

2 people like this.
  14. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Shit. I gotta put in a dog door. I am no handy man and don't have any tools. shit.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just hire someone to do it, as by the time you buy the proper tools, etc., it'll be cheaper and easier just to hire a pro.

16. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Is it wrong that I basically live in Milwaukee, yet own no Milwaukee electric tools?

I actually prefer Ridgid. Their lithium ion line is insane. I've had them for about 4 years now and couldnt be more thrilled with them. I even modified my old craftsman electric tools that Ridgid doesnt carry (things like an inflator, dustbuster, etc). Best electric tools for the money. I got started with a kit similar to this one. Now I have several tools and a couple of 4 Ah batteries.

[​IMG]

17. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Al the hand tools I have go back to the early 80s'sounds like things have changed quite a bit . Power tools I know a bit about because of construction work .I have my own little lists of brand preferences but I retired in 2005 and batt tools have become so much more prevalent. I was union tradesman and one of the conditions in our contract was that the contractor provide all tools as a result we spent a lot of time torture testing cheap tools .Big outfits like Bechtel bought all the tools at the beginning of a project And throughout and then auctioned off what was left and dumped the rest.

1 person likes this.
  18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Ridgid used to be basically a pipe fitting tool manufacturer. It was very rare to see any thing but Ridgid threaders, pipe wrenches, pipe vices,cutters etc . Still are as far as I know. They had the best calendars too.

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

20. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Milwaukee makes an awesome Port a band probably the single most used tool on a pipefitting job