1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also: What are the stairs made of? If it's terrazzo, I would want to get rid of the paint on them entirely and do something that works with it.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pebble-sheen completed. :slayer:

Acid wash tomorrow and start filling tomorrow.

Landscaping about 2/3 done and waiting for gravel and such. I'm thinking substantial completion by a week from tomorrow.

3. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Wow, that's very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen irl an all black house or dark gray/black like the second one. You and I could do that if we were married, but I think my wife would not be happy. On the plus side, two doors down from us is a house that's a super dark brown, almost black, with dark red trim, including carved gargoyles. People call it draculas house. I'm told the owner spent a fortune adding the facade to a plain, newish box, which reinforces your experience.
    Two were light gray, with white trim and red doors. But their windows and detailing/highlights were different: One would have dark gray windows and a good amt of dk gray detailing. The other would have white windows with medium gray detailing.

Of those two, which would you prefer?

I wish terrazzo. Most are wood, with the bottom 2-3 made of cement, I think.

4. emptym

Btw, thanks a lot for your advice fellas.

The end is starting to come in sight. The last few weeks were mostly spent rewiring the whole place, then insulating and drywalling. Not all walls and ceilings were taken out completely. Mostly just patches in the living/dining and family room and hallways. But the whole downstairs was down to the studs. And they put in recessed lighting down there and in the living/dining room. They also reframed, reshingled and reroofed the small "wing" with the half/bath laundry on top and storage/workshop below.

A pic of the kitchen drywalled and given two coats of tape. I'm told there are three more coats of something to go (mud, mud, skim?).

[​IMG]
    Not seen are the hardwood floors installed last week.

Here are cabinets waiting for installation. I'm told that'll be a couple weeks from now since the mudding will take a while to dry between coats, and then the walls and soffits will need to primed.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the dark pics. I was there during the morning but then had to go to the buiding dept to get the parking permit extended, cabinet store to order a half bath vanity, and a window shop to pick some obscure glass (leaning toward glue chip for downstairs and one of these three for the bath. Not to mention the doctor for a chronic sinus infection, probably brought on in part from the stress of the renovation (mostly the delays in move-in date), and various small projects I have going on there (mainly involving stripping paint).

Two people had clear favorites for obscure glass. Our daughter's favorite:
    [​IMG]
    My wife's:
    [​IMG]

I like all three, but I think this one would disappear/ be unnoticed, which appeals to me:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. sugarbutch

I would prefer the dark gray, but either would be fine, really.

For the glass, I think I prefer the look of your wife's choice, but yours might actually obscure more. (These are for privacy when showering, yes?)

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

2 and 3 are pretty standard. I like 1 as it is something different from the normal I see in houses.

7. Nine Miler

Nine Miler Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I agree with your daughter.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

:slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer::slayer: :slayer:

9 people like this.
  10. emptym

Thanks B. Kind of for privacy. It'd be for a window above a sink, next to the shower. But the only way anyone could see the shower was if s/he was on the neighbor's roof or on scaffolding between the houses. Our bath window looks out on our neighbors' wall, about 5 feet away, and none of their windows are in view of ours.

Yeah, I think the bottom two are the most common. Maybe we should go w/ 3. I'll see if it can be tempered.

Edit, I meant #1, not 3.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  11. lefty

lefty Senior member

If that's a roundabout way of proposing, then the answer is yes, yes ... a million times yes!

lefty

4 people like this.
  12. emptym

You had me at that velvet (moleskin?) jacket. And I hope I had you when I rubbed it.

13. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Werent we talking about houses just a few posts ago? Mozel Tov on your engagement[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. sugarbutch

Ahh. For a window I would go with #2. I think it's most consistent with the style of your house.

1 person likes this.
  16. sugarbutch

What is the rationale for this setup? Is it to allow the hot tub and pool to share filtering and chemical equipment?

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

And it's pretty and sounds nice. The spillway is actually extraneous to the fact the spa and pool are one integrated system.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

The all black Victorian seems to be the latest trend over on this side of town. It's usually paired with a bright tutti-fruit colored front door. That combo looked fresh when I first saw it a few yrs ago but now I'm getting a tech commuter bus vibe from it. I do like the monochrome look though. usually people go overboard with colors on those Victorians. Depending on what other houses are nearby, maybe you can choose a single color and do variations of tones of the same hue. I like how the minimal look downplays the gingerbready detailing on that era house. I've seen some nice all bright white paint jobs which look cool as well.

also Piobiare, I hope by "spillaway" you mean there's a swim-up wine bar in that pool. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    2 people like this.
  19. lefty

lefty Senior member

In my defense, I did leave 4 years ago when it seemed rare.

Also trying to save M a few bucks. I have a friend who had his Victorian on Hayes painted a few years ago in about 6 colours and I believe the bill was 30K.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  20. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh, I like the look still it's just become a "thing" now. I love the idea of saving $$ and looking good. :)