1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sounds like nothing much in the way of closing so congrats.

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

No, the buyers were actually very reasonable. Their inspection had a bunch of nitpicky things show up, but the only thing they asked for was the furnace. Good thing they probably spent $1000+ on the inspection. [​IMG]

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Our house tested just over the limit for radon in the basement, now my wife keeps talking about mitigation. Haven't really looked into it at all.

5. brokencycle

It is crap. How long did you test? The numbers vary wildly, and thinks like weather or opening doors and windows or running an AC can all impact it. To get a reliable test you really need to test 6 months to a year.

Furthermore, low levels of radiation exposure is probably good for you from what I have read. I found about half a dozen papers showing evidence of this in humans and animals.

Unless it tested at like 100 or something I wouldn't worry.

6. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I am planning a kitchen renovation and the architect recommended porcelain tile that looks like wood. I am worried that the surface might be too hard. Anything that drops will surely break. Any other preferred alternatives? I don't like real wood in the kitchen because the floor will get wet. What do you think of linoleum?

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

[​IMG]

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Yeah, just a 48 hour thing. And the house was vacant, so the air was probably totally stagnant.

Tested at 4.5 pCI/L, so trivially over the limit. The issue is convincing the wife of that, or deciding if just spending the money on mitigation is easier :embar:

9. brokencycle

Start here because I may or may not have compiled all of this in anticipation of the buyers requesting mitigation:

Blog post by nuclear power plant engineer: http://atomicinsights.com/how-does-low-level-radiation-provide-beneficial-effects/
    Discover Magazine: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/04/06/small-radiation/

Academic studies:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477686/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18301096
    http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/174_2011_401 (actual paper behind paywall)

1 person likes this.
  10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Which home?

If the one you are buying make it contingent that they fix that. I wouldnt step near a poisoned home.

edit: I mean the furnace. CO poisoning

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  11. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

There are a ton of man-made products that come in a variety of patterns. colors, and textures in sheet, tile, and plank format. The world is your oyster! A lot of them are "commercial" lines, but work great for kitchens

12. brokencycle

The one I'm selling has the bad furnace. I'll get it fixed, but poisoned home is a bit extreme. The furnace and AC have been serviced every year, and this is the first it has been detected. I have CO detectors in the furnace room as well as in every bedroom (one of which is right over one of the vents), so if the leak was bad, one of the sensors would have gone off.

1 person likes this.
  13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Anything that will break on tile is pretty likely to break on the other materials as well, don't ask me how I know this. :embar:

I strongly dislike 'wood' tile, not because it looks like wood and yet it is not, but because there are grout lines, and unless something goes completely wrong you usually don't have grout lines in a wood floor. It looks strange to me.

Pick tile that looks like tile...

5 people like this.
  14. brokencycle

I agree with this.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

They really made some progress this week. Fire pit, CMU bench/walls, and spa all have field stone completed and the only thing waiting to have its field stone completed is the monument wall. First two have their flagstone tops and the spa and pool have all their travertine coping (monument wall will get flagstone top.) They also finally started to fill in the trenching! Still have half the trenching open but at least there's progress there too.

I have to say the guys doing the stone work are really doing a nice job. They fixed my concern in that one section (I'm thinking they would have without my prodding at this point) and everything is stellar. They've probably got about 1/3 of the travertine laid but the rest is mainly the easier stuff as it's all the coping and such that takes more time and care. I'm putting odds at 50/50 I've got fill up for TG weekend at this point.

3 people like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

American Fireglass seems to be the standard. When we have our new fireplace put in last year they used American Fireglass. I used ruby red and thought I'd change the colours. Took an hour or so, as using my hands to clean out the fireglass was tedious and a pain in the ass, but it looks great. I bought from Amazon Prime a batch both of Platinum and Bronze reflective, 10# box each. Poured them into a bucket to mix and then put them in the fireplace. Looks fantastic with the underlit LEDs on.

17. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

As long as your thrones are all American Standard, that's todo you need.

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I like the blue lite models The ones that blink when you pee in em'

19. brokencycle

Deal finally done with the buyers of my house. Contingency stuff closed. They wanted the AC and furnace repaired or replaced. My brother is an HVAC guy, so he could repair both for ~$750 (only the furnace actually had a problem). Or I could replace both for <$3k (it would be $7-$8k for the average home buyer (the stuff is super marked up)). Well, I convinced the sellers to contribute $3k to replace them. So I should come out about $500 ahead in the deal rather than $750 out of pocket.

Also, I bought a house here in NC today.

2 people like this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pics or GTFO.

1 person likes this.