1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

What is the difference between this and electrical kettle?

Check the lid if plastic turned into sand if your unit is few years old.
    https://www.amazon.com/review/R1G17...ce&nodeID=284507&store=kitchen#wasThisHelpful

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Several of my friends of the Asian persuasion have them because you can set the precise temp for your desired tea, and they heat the water to that temp without actually bringing it to a boil (so it doesn't deoxygenate the water or something).

Always ready on demand at temp--no waiting for it to heat, and I believe they are so well insulated that total power draw is pretty low.

But nowadays, I think there are a lot more electric kettles available with good temperature controls, like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KYSLNQ/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH395

Although still, takes a few minutes to boil a liter of water...if you use it a lot, having hot water on tap is nice.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Something like this?

http://www.grohe.com/ie/4816/kitchen/hot-water-kitchen-taps/grohe-red/

Edit, this one also:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/InSinkErato..._clickID=8a854668-d676-4601-94b9-717b7f935034

This is pretty interesting. I see a battle emerging between me and the wife, she's going to want this, while I want a carbonated water fountain.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

More like the second. The first looks like a whole faucet with a switch for instant hot water...and your problem only exists because your wife was switching to a different style faucet.

My office has something like the second one in a few of the sinks. I actually found myself using it pretty often and have been missing it since switching to a different floor that doesn't have one.

They are kind of expensive for what they are...but if I had my first cup of coffee at home instead of in the office, it might be worth it to be able to set the temp for my current beans, and then simply fill the Aeropress from a tap in 30 seconds.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

When in grad school at Purdue in West Lafayette, IN, the water tasted like crap from the tap so I bought gallon jugs of Wal-Mart "drinking water." The jugs were filled with City of Columbus, OH water so I was basically drinking back home tap water.

Spending the week in Germany and I have realized how inferior the windows are in the US. Why can't we have the double hinged windows in the US? Code I'd assume?

1 person likes this.
  6. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

We cannot allow big seamless plates of glass that would let too much light into our houses and we might actually see our life for what it is. :D

7. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

For some reason I expect there to be a single German word for 'The act of having seamless plates of glass allow too much light into our house so that we an see our life for what it is"

1 person likes this.
  8. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

biggunblindnzeglassen

7 people like this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Schadenfreude?

Well, shotcrete. Holy fuck. Left for work with a big hole in the ground filled with rebar, PVC plumbing, etc. Came home and there's a pool, monument wall, and raised spa in the back yard. I was told it'll cure for a few days then they'll be out to tile.

No way the pool will be ready to swim in by TG but thinking it just might be filled with the start up going by then which means all my hardscape/softscape will also be done. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  10. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

Sounds great man! Post some pics.

1 person likes this.
  11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that you can't, at least there are passive house builders in the USA who use German an Austrian triple-glazed windows. Maybe they aren't double-hinged though. However, we had no code problems specifying double-hinged triple-glazed windows here in Ontario.

12. Piobaire

Going to hold off on more pics until it gets a little more along. Won't take too long until I can put up a shot of all the water flowing and landscape lights on.

13. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Lol, so true....:D

14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

In English, that word is sobriety.

1 person likes this.
  15. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love those German windows too. I have seen them in the US, but very rarely. I'm guessing part them not being common in the US is fear that people will jump out them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  16. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

I was always wondering why windows are so small and ugly in new buildings. The reason is prolly cost, those ugly myopic windows with small plastic frames that slide up are the cheapest builder standard crap one can purchase. That is the reason they are everywhere in US. Home in US is a temporary dwelling until you need to sell it and move for another job thus no one cares what kind of windows they have.:facepalm:
    RE construction quality is appalling and it goes back 100-130 years . I have lived in old 'Victorian' houses in MA that had no insulation in the walls.,Why? I imagine coal heating was still expensive 130 years ago why would anyone build a big family house with empty walls? Any guesses?
    I also saw houses with no foundation, just house sitting on few bricks or straight in the ground. I saw houses on the highest hill in Boston and they had basement floods after every rain- no drainage, how is it possible ? Noone cares that is how.:nodding:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  17. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

They didn't insulate back in the day because anything you used would be a fire and/or mold hazard.

18. Piobaire

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->Antwerp

2 people like this.
  19. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Not true entirely. People were pretty smart those days and used perfectly fine insulation material that was also 99% mold resistant and 99% flame retardant, not to mention it was free. Guess what it is.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Air? Sand? Vacuum? Closed-cell polyethylene foam? I don't know.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016