1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I should have qualified my response to exclude 3rd world cities.

2. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Actually a number of cities in Louisiana (BR for one ) source their water from artesian wells some of the sweetest tasting naturally soft water in the world. There are not a lot of undissolved minerals in all that delta clay. There are so few rocks they use dredged up clam shell in place of gravel

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Artesian wells... is that a euphemism for a regular old aquifer? Funny how it's marketed as "mineral water" but then all these filters seek to remove it.

This bottled water bullshit is actually more expensive than gas. And the vast majority of it is plain old tap water... so the stupids are basically buying repackaged tap water that costs .08 a gallon and buying it for 10 to 50x more.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Give it up, 9. No one can tell this guy anything; what he says is indisputable truth.

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

No, its a type of well. Note, not "artisanal. "

BTW, the main difference tap and bottled water is that most tap water has shit loads of chlorine in it. Some cities, apparently in Scandinavia, have better water than others. But if you can tell pure water from chlorine I don't know what to say. Go drink from a public pool and enjoy feeling superior. I hear McDonalds has good prices, and all meat tastes the same, right?

1 person likes this.
  7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I drink Lake Michigan water and it tastes fine.

1 person likes this.
  8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I drink my tap water too, but I can tell the difference. There is a great local spring along a back road that has a little pipe and spring box built around it. Its been there forever and all the locals use it for the water. When I can, I fill up there.

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

We share the same basic objection.

The research indicates otherwise. The EPA limit is up to 4 parts per million, which in your eyes constitutes "shitloads". Forget all the studies that show people regularly cannot tell the difference.

It's in your head.

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

12. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    The links I

The articles you've linked directly contradict what you are saying. Within the first 3 minutes I've read that only 30% of people in blind tests could tell the difference between tap and mineral water. This means you fall within a lucky 60% category who cannot, that is all to it.

Comparing tap water to Polar Spring is not really a test. Polar Spring often tastes worse than my tap. I used to drink it when nothing else was available, but buying it in Manhattan from local shitty stores I often suspected that they fill these Polar Spring bottles in someone's basement. The bottles felt squishy-soft and caps looked like cheap aftermarket cap, plus the water taste nasty. I stopped buying them since and only buy Fidji or small Pellegrino bottles.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not at all. That small a number would basically indicate guessing. If only 30% claim to tell a difference, then there just isn't a difference of any significance to warrant 10 to 50x the price of tap.

14. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Why do you care to argue on the Internet and tell people how they feel about they tap water? Y'all poasting in a joke thread.

15. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

30% was margin of error, alright.
    What about statistical ed paper that you've linked that shows clear preference for Fidji water over tap. And shows tap water as least preferable by subjects in that d-blind test?

It is a joke thread but I am enjoying it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Uh oh, the internet police is here to get things back in line

From what I read it's clear there is no obvious preference for bottled/filtered when tested blindly, in fact NYC tap was the favorite in the first study

The point of those links was to show that

IMO, to justify the cost Fiji, it would have to win by a huge margin

17. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

You posted it, don't blame me...

[​IMG]

P.S. Are you a school teacher by trade? I am asking cause I get the public educator, indoctrinating vibe from your arguments. Just wanna make sure I hate you for the right reasons....:D (kidding)

1 person likes this.
  18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

19. otc

otc Senior member

If you guys are done having a stupid argument...

The instant hot water (insinkerator) dispensers are nice to have if you drink tea or make pourover coffee. You can also fill your kettle from them if you need water to a full boil fast. Nice for pre heating a coffee mug. And for getting a little extra rinse power when doing dishes too.

If you really don't want to just put a cover on and are willing to pay the price, that might be your best option.

1 person likes this.
  20. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I have a Zojirushi countertop hot water dispenser that I use for my pourover every morning and for tea occasionally. I wish I didn't have to fill it up every week. A hot water spout would be ideal for me.