• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mike1445

Reaction score
This is our current master bath with toilet next to a metal legged sink. The door which opens in left blocks the small shower so if you are a bigger individual you won't fit. We are thinking of bringing this wall out 3-4 feet which would add enough space for a larger shower and 2 sinks. We are still a couple years away but I am excited for this project.
How old is your house? Ours was built around 1920 and had similar wall tile and it was a bear to demo.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I completely get monetary and space constraints but I'll say that having a tub of some kind in the master bath is something buyers always look for...even though we know they'll never use it either. Where I live even the tract homes all come with whirlpool tubs in the master, and if you don't have one, it's a ding against comps.

Not just two sinks, but if you have the room, two vanities. Our respective vanities and cabinet storage are across the room from each other.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old is your house? Ours was built around 1920 and had similar wall tile and it was a bear to demo.

1959. The tile is laid on a base layer of cement and wire mesh so we know it will be a bear to demo.

As for 2 sinks, it will be either 2 vanities or a bigger double sink vanity. Maybe the contractor we select will be able to squeeze everything into an expanded bathroom but it will just have to wait until that time comes. I can't say what are in the other houses in our area as they are either: 1. Old homes to be torn down; 2. Older homes that are remodeled; 3. New homes on the torn down lots going for $1M+ and in some cases $3M+ but that guy will never get that amount in our neighborhood.

mike1445

Reaction score
I have nightmares about that cement and wire mesh. That was an unwelcome final step in our initial renovations when we bought the house. I was simply trying to remove tile from the tub surround and the wall opened up with a family of carpenter ants.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When we remodeled our bathroom, I wanted to delete the tub, but my wife insisted that we keep it in the design. It almost never gets used, and she's not the one who uses it. I should have fought harder. In our market, folks might want a tub, but it certainly wouldn't keep them from buying the house. Plus, I plan to be here until they carry me out in a body bag, so I make choices to suit our needs.

There's also the issue of water usage. I might get lynched wasting all of that water here in California...

flvinny521

Reaction score
My wife and I also deleted the tub from our plans in lieu of a large, walk-in shower with body jets. The only time she ever used the tub was during her pregnancy, and since we took surgical precautions to prevent that from happening again, the luxurious shower made a lot more sense.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When we remodeled our bathroom, I wanted to delete the tub, but my wife insisted that we keep it in the design. It almost never gets used, and she's not the one who uses it. I should have fought harder. In our market, folks might want a tub, but it certainly wouldn't keep them from buying the house. Plus, I plan to be here until they carry me out in a body bag, so I make choices to suit our needs.

There's also the issue of water usage. I might get lynched wasting all of that water here in California...

I wonder what happened to all the rain water we received in SoCal. I'm guessing Mother Nature was taxed and it's part of Brown's budget.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats the general sentiment in our area as well, people want a tub in the master......so they can look at it and think about possibly using it in the far future.

Waste of money, but apparently one where everyone collectively wants it wasted.

If you spend enough to get something good, it's a ton. For a modern cast-iron or comparable its about 5-10k and then the tub faucet and parts is about 2k, then the install (if you pay for that sort of thing :) ) is whatever installs cost.

Personally I would have preferred a bigger shower and sauna or steam room.

js0930

Reaction score
Having one tub in the house is more important if you're selling to families. Kids need baths, apparently.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, with my kids we call a shower a "business bath". Quick and just get it done. Regular baths are for playing.

But yes, I couldn't see a family with younger kids without a bath of some sort (even if it were one of those old timey galvanized troughs that I'm pretty sure people used to bathe in)

flvinny521

Reaction score
My twins like the term "fireman baths." The handheld showerhead we use for them apparently equates to a fire hose in their world.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wonder what happened to all the rain water we received in SoCal. I'm guessing Mother Nature was taxed and it's part of Brown's budget.

Yes, because HIGH TAXES and DAMNED DEMOCRATS caused the DROUGHT!

:rolleyes:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
CE that ****.

Sitting and waiting for my new couch and love seat.

Need to live with them for a month and then start shopping for tables. At this rate our main living space will be totally revamped about 2019 and I'm okay with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads