1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bu then you have an ugly mirror at a weird height on the wall.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Separate room for TV viewing is the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Like Piob said, the best thing to do is have a separate room for the television. But if you have to live in a tenement, maybe you could have a TV nook. Or you could pull the TV off the wall and stick it in a closet (if you have one) when company comes over.

5. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Movies watching or some annoying children programs , sure. But if I want to see the news while doing other things I don't want to go to News Watching Room.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Nah, let's totally hang it at an awkward height over the fireplace and center the whole living space around it.

2 people like this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sounds like you need to schedule better. I watch the news in our media room after dinner. If I wanted to listen to news I can just stream it over our in ceiling speakers anywhere in the house.

8. mafoofan

Right. Just add another room. Makes sense. Why didn't I think of that?

I will have to see about getting my tenement board to approve.

Duh. Didn't you hear them? Get. A. Separate. Room.

Well, that's just retarded. Don't know why anyone ever thought putting a TV over the fireplace made sense.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

"Separate room" is under the same heading as "TV that looks like a mirror." Neither one of them is going to work for you, Foo, but it's just fun to keep saying it.

You live large in Manhattan. Us plebs in flyover have to flaunt some of the few positives we have once in a while and square footage is certainly one of them.

In other news, can't remember if I posted this, but new doors going in a week from today. Looking forward to having an open door in the bedroom in the cool season as there's nothing I love more on a Saturday morning than a 40 degree bedroom.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Why not pout it inside a fireplace , that way you can have fake fire crackling away when you are not watching.

1 person likes this.
  11. mafoofan

Regardless of where you live, simply adding a new room or relocating all television activities to an existing room is not really a solution unless it makes sense for your lifestyle. As Medwed points out, for many, TV-watching is a more casual and regular affair that needs to more integrated with common living spaces. Otherwise, you'd find yourself sequestered to your "TV room" all the time--and then that room might as well be your living room.

But I get it--what I'm asking for is to have my cake and eat it too. I want a single living space optimized for socializing and conversation but also functions well for media and television. Right now, our living room is only slightly compromised by the presence of a TV. For the most part, the furniture is arranged as it would have been even if the TV weren't there and the TV itself is as plain and unobtrusive as possible. It helps that our aesthetic is modern and minimal, so a black rectangle floating on a white wall doesn't look so off. It would be a bigger problem if we were the sort of people who prefer a more traditional living space.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You don't need to add a room for a nook. The idea is that you dedicate a smaller part of your living room area to the TV and set up the rest for entertaining. A TV and a little couch don't take up much space. Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't. I don't know.

1 person likes this.
  13. mafoofan

Eh. Theoretically I could squeeze in such space, but that would force other compromises worse than just including the TV in the living room.

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Or you could become a properly cultured Manhattenite and ditch the TV.

1 person likes this.
  15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I blame HGTV.

When I was looking for houses, nearly all of the flipped houses came pre-wired to have a TV mounted over the fireplace.

Some of them had even installed electric fireplaces so that people could mount a TV over them.

You need to talk to HGTV right now, get this going. I bet 4K TVs give a great looking fake fire.

1 person likes this.
  16. otc

otc Senior member

A decent share of the time I have other people in my apartment...the TV is used. Have a nice dinner and then watch GoT? Movie night? Debate? It wouldn't make sense to try and have separate seating (especially if there is less space) in a different section of my living room.

I've accepted that the TV is something that can be visible. We aren't in monster CRT land anymore...my TV doesn't look half bad. Sure, you can tell it is a TV, but half the time we are going to use the TV later that night. We are OK with open plan kitchens...I don't try to hide my stove, dishwasher, or fridge when not in use. Some people go with cabinet facings on the latter two, but I don't see anybody out there with sliding countertop covers for their range.

2 people like this.
  17. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

After staying in AirBnB's for 2+ weeks, my house feels like fucking Versailles! I'm always happy to come home from vacation - though admittedly, I have come to like vacation much more now that I don't have to do it on a student's budget. It's much more relaxing when you have budgeted well for it and don't have to constantly monitor your spending.

1 person likes this.
  18. mafoofan

Not going to happen. TV is too damned good these days. What would I talk to all my fellow Manhattanites about?

They are also the culprits behind accent walls, yes? Bastards.

Yeah, I think this is the (sad?) truth. TV and socializing are often more intertwined than they necessarily should be, but that is the reality of things.

Actually, these do exist . . .

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It really depends on the layout, but the default scenario is where you end up with the whole space designed around the TV. Either it's awkward to watch, or all the seating is oriented around the TV. It shaped the whole focal point of the room. I really like having a main living space that's actually designed around being a living and entertaining space, not a "TV watching space."

And these days, if you want to pull up the game or whatever and don't want to go into the TV room (for us suburbanites), you can pull it up on your tablet. It's not the optimal experience, but it's a solid compromise. I've watched games out on the patio.

20. otc

otc Senior member

Is HGTV the reason for it? Or does it just show up on HGTV becasue there was a huge spat of developers starting sometime in the 90s/2000s who built living rooms that didn't have any sensible place to fit a television because they also felt the need to install a gas fireplace.

Can't tell you how many condos I have seen that have an open kitchen that looks out into a long space that is supposed to fit your dining table and living room...but between french doors on the far end of the room, and a fireplace on one side, there's often no way to set up furniture so you aren't blocking something...unless you mount the TV over the fireplace.

I definitely have seen people just seal them off, use the fireplace cutout as a home for DVD/cable/audio gear, and then mount the TV at a normal height (where there was just drywall and wasn't some big mantle to interfere with the placement).