• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I had white walls...at least in my living/dining rooms and hallway. Bathroom too I guess, but I think some fixtures and built in items would need to be brightened up before it could support a brighter color. Bedroom I could accept a mellow color that's not white...although I would also be ok with white.

I believe the Benjamin Moore Simply White is a lovely color (although they just named it color of the year for 2016...whatever that means). Might be better as trim and ceiling paint with a slightly darker shade for the walls though...depends how bright the room already is.

In my old garden unit, I think I went with it on the walls and a brighter white on the ceiling, but I now have gigantic windows so I think I would step it down a notch if I repainted.

But I also like bold splashes of color in my furniture/furnishings rather than on my walls...white would probably look kind of sad if all of your furniture and carpeting was drab neutrals.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, the Benjamin Moore Regal Classic in Matte is my favorite paint I have ever applied. Unfortunately it might be hard to get now since their website seems to be pimping a new "Regal Select" line which appears to be a different paint (now it is self priming).

The Matte was different from the rest of the line. Closer to Flat than Eggshell, but contained some sort of ceramic that made it more durable and scrubbable than other paints at that low-sheen level. Stuff applied like a dream, and even in my kitchen sans-backsplashes, I never had any trouble keeping it clean.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most white walls look like crap in a few years when they accumulate various marks.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate real estate agents, but now ours.

Handbuilt out of salvaged material.
Main cabin:

Bunkie 1 - which I may turn into a sauna:

Bunkie 2:

Inside main:

Joinery:

lefty

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sure hope you never get termites, lefty. Gorgeous cabin. Catskills?

jbarwick: I thought the Simply White was softer and not too harsh? I read that BM has a Decorator's White which is very bright, and I don't think I want that. My house is a small Cape Cod but plenty of windows. Then again I live in the Northeast, so it's not like there's sparkling sunlight pouring in at all times.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, Catskills, but too far for the hicksters to travel in an electric car. No termites up there. Carpenter ants.

Buy as many small pots of BM whites that catch your eye and paint 2' x 2' squares on your LR wall. Live with them for a week or so. Pick.

lefty

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sure hope you never get termites, lefty. Gorgeous cabin. Catskills?

jbarwick: I thought the Simply White was softer and not too harsh? I read that BM has a Decorator's White which is very bright, and I don't think I want that. My house is a small Cape Cod but plenty of windows. Then again I live in the Northeast, so it's not like there's sparkling sunlight pouring in at all times.

It is hard to get a sense of the different whites on a computer screen but it seems there is a little bit of a difference. If anything, paint one room and see how you like it. We had one color called "hint of mocha" which made the walls look like they were white walls with a touch of dirt. I didn't like it but then again we weren't engaged when she decided on that color.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet cabin. That's how they should be.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice, lefty. Walk in or drive in?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks.

Drive, but down a private unmaintained and rough road. A few cabins - mostly hunters - visible through winter woods.

Spring fed water, compost toilet - literally a bucket that the owners would fill with peat moss and then compost on the back acreage - wood heat. Electric though, which makes all the difference in the world. I can listen to my Mantovani records and add ice to my drink.

Not perfect land - just a cool cheap cabin and I was really tired of looking.

lefty

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Miss Right Now. Sounds and looks cool (except for the toilet...)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
0.jpg

lefty

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was about to say, that cabin looks like lefty's and then I saw who posted it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Predictable or consistent?

Side view:

Inside bunkie:

Seat of power:

Island has a piece of marble inlaid - heavy as hell:

Stair/shelf to loft:

lefty

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You posted the first pic in a different thread and just remembered it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads