• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife finally sent me a link to the end of the curtain rods we are getting for the nursery. The color is stated as "gilded bronze". Any idea of ceiling light fixture that would match? I do not know if this is the specific rod end or not but this is the color.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Ahh, see I dont know where you are starting from so I'm giving very broad based advice.

Dont know how soon you are planning to do this, but I am building a couple vanities later this year (probably over the summer), so I can post up some progress results if you are curious.

If it makes you feel better, it helps me.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, see I dont know where you are starting from so I'm giving very broad based advice.

Dont know how soon you are planning to do this, but I am building a couple vanities later this year (probably over the summer), so I can post up some progress results if you are curious.
Pictures are always welcome! no real rush to do it. just gathering information at this point :)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My wife finally sent me a link to the end of the curtain rods we are getting for the nursery. The color is stated as "gilded bronze". Any idea of ceiling light fixture that would match? I do not know if this is the specific rod end or not but this is the color.
I would mix dark bronze and brass without issue. Probably would not mix in chrome/nickel/stainless but mostly due to the ornate style of this curtain rod and what I presume to be ornate style of other furnishings. On the low side of the spectrum, something from Restoration Hardware, or in that range. They make a lot of 'oil finish bronze' which suits this style well. I use their stuff on non-critical things that I have so many duplicate of, like flush mount ceiling lamps in hallways, of which my house has seven. So I use better lamps for stairs/dining/bathroom, ect, but stick to these middle-range ones for the duplicates. I tend to mix metals, but with a qualifier that I'm generally keeping all of the built-in and fixed to the wall type metals to be similar/same by group and making the groups work in conjunction with one another. Individual stand outs should also work with the group. For instance, I think a modernist white painted pendant lamp works well enough with chrome flush mounts.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we'll be relocating next month to the DFW area and were looking for housing this past weekend down there. One thing we learned was that it's quite common to bring one's own washer and dryer when leasing a place in that area; however, where we're coming from, it's not. (We're going to lease for a year while we move forward with new construction) We'll be leaving our w/d in our current place that will go on the market in a few weeks. Any thoughts on what we should purchase? We have 3 young kids, so high capacity, effective stain removal and quiet operation are all important.

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my samsungs, got a set upstairs and an older set downstairs. I don't really have the same requirements as you (just my wife and me, no kids), but I really love that I can wash and dry a load in ~50 minutes.

Last edited:

Edsal17

Reaction score
I would see if you could just rent them. You can probably rent a pair for about $45 a month and avoid having to move an almost brand new washer and dryer. In my experience, dryers don't move well.

brokencycle

Reaction score
So we'll be relocating next month to the DFW area and were looking for housing this past weekend down there. One thing we learned was that it's quite common to bring one's own washer and dryer when leasing a place in that area; however, where we're coming from, it's not. (We're going to lease for a year while we move forward with new construction) We'll be leaving our w/d in our current place that will go on the market in a few weeks. Any thoughts on what we should purchase? We have 3 young kids, so high capacity, effective stain removal and quiet operation are all important.

I bought a Samsung top loader and would recommend it to anyone. It has more capacity than a front loader (>5 ft^3), it is quiet, cleans well, is gentle on clothes, and has a 10 year warranty on the motor. I think we paid about $1200 for the pair (msrp about $1000-1200/ea) from Lowe's. Our older front load also required regular cleaning to prevent that musty/moldy smell.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't give an unqualified endorsement of front loaders (I've replaced the bearings on mine twice already...), but the only thing you need to do to keep them from mildewing is to crack the door open when it's not in use and wash with hot water and bleach every now and then. The mildew comes from soap or mineral deposits inside the drum that aren't fully dissolved by cold water washes.

As a plus, you can stack the dryer on top, which is the best way to set them up, despite whatever associations it may have with laundromats or apartments.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And they don't beat on your clothes as much....which should be an SF essential.

flvinny521

Reaction score
I can't give an unqualified endorsement of front loaders (I've replaced the bearings on mine twice already...), but the only thing you need to do to keep them from mildewing is to crack the door open when it's not in use and wash with hot water and bleach every now and then. The mildew comes from soap or mineral deposits inside the drum that aren't fully dissolved by cold water washes.

As a plus, you can stack the dryer on top, which is the best way to set them up, despite whatever associations it may have with laundromats or apartments.

My washer actually has a mechanism that allows the door to lock in the slightly cracked open position (which I assume is common on all newer models), making it basically a no brainer. We've owned it for about a year and a half and haven't had to clean out the mildew at all. Just empty the filter monthly and you're good to go.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We leave the door totally open on ours otherwise the mildew smell will start. This may be because it is in the basement and the cooler air slows the drying out process.

So instead of a new light fixture in the baby's room, my wife wants to do recessed lights. Somehow a budget of $1,000 for the baby's room has turned into quite a bit more. This seems to be a common theme in updating rooms in this house.

brokencycle

Reaction score
And they don't beat on your clothes as much....which should be an SF essential.

I don't know. The newer top loaders are pretty gentle on clothes - they don't have an agitator. I've had no problems with damage to any articles of clothing.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think about going with mostly white walls? I know Benjamin Moore has a huge off-white collection and there are warm/cool whites. I've read some great reviews of Benjamin Moore Simply White as well.

I am slowly collecting some nice MCM furniture and plan to eventually have a house full of the stuff. I think white walls show that off nicely.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had some off-white walls in our previous townhouse and it looked fine with a more pure white crown molding. If someone can visually see the break between the wall and ceiling then I think it's fine, otherwise I am not a fan of all white. In our current home, all of the window and door casings are white so if we change the wall color, it will be something other than white. I am hoping the baby's room I am painting in the next couple of days with gray will look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads