• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some dark stains on the hardwood floors in the dining room. I don't know why it took me so long to think about it, but they are probably from dog/cat piss. I think this also explains the musty smell when you walk in, although I chalked that up to the home being uninhabited for some time.

We will be sanding and refinishing the floors and I'll treat with hydrogen peroxide beforehand. Hopefully the stains come out and the smell is contained. This better work because I do not have brand new floors in the budget. :fu:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

There are some dark stains on the hardwood floors in the dining room. I don't know why it took me so long to think about it, but they are probably from dog/cat piss. I think this also explains the musty smell when you walk in, although I chalked that up to the home being uninhabited for some time.

We will be sanding and refinishing the floors and I'll treat with hydrogen peroxide beforehand. Hopefully the stains come out and the smell is contained. This better work because I do not have brand new floors in the budget. :fu:

Stains left from the decomposing body they found in the house.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Urine stains are tricky. Usually it's just better to pee on the rest of the floor until it matches.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone change a light socket? If so, are there any surprises other than the usual wires? The pull cord outlet in our pantry is acting up (55 years old) so I figure it could be changed. I think the worst part will be working in the small space with my arms raised while I change it.

As for the piss, I've seen magic happen when sanding the floors and I have also seen someone aggressively go after a stain creating a noticeable divot area where the stain was. I guess it also depends on if the stain was created due to direct sitting of the pee vs. a wet rug that held the pee as it will not have gone as deep.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If it's that old I'd check and make sure it's not the old "knob and tube" style wiring and completely compatible.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's that old I'd check and make sure it's not the old "knob and tube" style wiring and completely compatible.

Good point. We know it is not knob and tube due to other wiring in the house. At some point we think it went from cloth coated wire to the more modern plastic like covering but I am not sure when. When the more updated wiring we run, they did not add grounds so it is still old.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone change a light socket? If so, are there any surprises other than the usual wires? The pull cord outlet in our pantry is acting up (55 years old) so I figure it could be changed. I think the worst part will be working in the small space with my arms raised while I change it.
Wire is wire unless your unlucky enough to have aluminum . Its the condition of the insulator thats of major concern. It sounds like you should have a reputable electrician have a look at the house and let you know whats what. The wiring systems in older homes were fine but they were designed for much less usage than they are subjected to today. As to the light socket its just two wires

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How would a 55 year old house have knob and tube?

I know you are getting old and all...but that's like...1960. At that point, grounded circuits are required in most areas, so what little bit of knob and tube installation that was going on post-war became pretty much impossible.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I don't know the dates .My house is 70 years old in an incorporated area of California and it is knob and tube. If patch in work has been done it would still be a good idea to have sparky look at it

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

How would a 55 year old house have knob and tube?

I know you are getting old and all...but that's like...1960. At that point, grounded circuits are required in most areas, so what little bit of knob and tube installation that was going on post-war became pretty much impossible.

Not up on building codes and their history just know lots of folks have ran into that stuff with older houses.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess...when I think of "older", I think pre-war.

1960s houses (or even 50s) aren't all that different from today. Much of the development boom in the last generation has been about how to build mcmansions cheaply, not how to do things differently or better.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ours is from 1959 and most people that have worked on the house comment on the build quality. I was just worried there could be something other than wires hanging up there.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ours is from 1959 and most people that have worked on the house comment on the build quality. I was just worried there could be something other than wires hanging up there.

Nope if its old ceramic pull chain type the switch is self contained just two wires and two screws

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our HELOC funded so I"m getting pretty excited for our kitchen remodel! Going to switch from a range to a double wall oven/cooktop combo. Going to bring in a propane line for the cooktop as our house has no NG and it's like 7k just to get NG to the house. Really excited for things like the new dishwasher and hot water dispenser. We might have to go custom for the cabinets we want, but at least we are planning on getting laminate countertops (we're going for a vintage look), and I just got a screaming deal on the dishwasher and wall oven (we already have a fridge).

mike1445

Reaction score
Any of you guys have pot fillers? FIL suggested it last minute when we renovated our kitchen and I'll be damned if it isnt a nice little amenity. Wife and I both use it all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads