1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I just did an addition, and the faucets for my double sink are Waterworks. They are very heavy and well made, feel solid to use, they are worth the money in my book.

1 person likes this.
  2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Finally started painting the spare bedroom which will hopefully be complete next weekend but another couple projects came to mind that y'all may have experience in.

1. Painting doors. I want to paint our front door as it is solid wood and sort of in need of a fresh coat. I am debating on getting a new door vs. painting this one. Thoughts? Another door I really want to paint so how hard is the process of sanding and refinishing? I assume this will take some more tools as I do not have any sort of power sander. Also I would need to figure out what to do to cover the hole while I work on this. May need to be a spring or fall project.

2. Door handles for the interior. Do you prefer knobs or levers? Also colors? We switched over a couple of main doors to levers and nickel when but most of the older knobs in the house are dingy gold-ish (I don't know what metal) and don't look too bad. I would keep them but it seems over the years they have slowly been replaced or beaten up so not all of the them match and I would do one fell swoop of knobs and also may replace the hinges as ours are all painted over.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'd likely scrape and not sand. I avoid sanding except after all other options have been exhausted.

2 people like this.
  4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sorry... mistake. I bought Watermark, I got confused with the similar name Waterworks. It was Watermark, check them out.

5. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Quote: I would pull the hinges and soak them in paint stripper. They could be real beauties.If you need to sand its nice to have an orbital they are <$100. Just get a piece of plywood to stick over the hole and use the back door for a couple days

6. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Too low, I think. Here's our daughter in what will be her room, with some of the windows in question.
    [​IMG]

A ceiling after scraping:
    [​IMG]

If you look closely, you can see that they've also put screws along both sides of cracks. A closeup:
    [​IMG]

The old knob and tube wiring:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Looks like a nice place, M. SF?

lefty

8. emptym

Thanks D. Yes sir. Btw, I was also in South Orange last week. I think you're right that Maplewood might be better, if we move.

The scraping is almost done:
    [​IMG]

Can you guys see the little fan-shaped patterns in the ceiling?
    [​IMG]

Any idea what caused that? Looks hand-applied. The painter didn't know. He hadn't noticed it until I pointed it out (only visible in the right light/angle) and he thought it might have come from their scraping. But I don't think so.

When the painter said three coats of primer, he also meant three different types of primer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this for patching
    [​IMG]

Had to go back to the tile store to pick trim for the tile wainscoting.
    [​IMG]

I was thinking we'd just have tile for the floor and shower stall, and wooding wainscoting for the other walls. But our contractor suggests doing tile wainscoting all the way around the room. Which do you guys prefer and why (wood vs tile)?

Here's a pic of the trim with some different tile. Again, ours will be plain 3x6" glossy subway.

[​IMG]

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Tiling that sounds expensive.

10. emptym

I kind of like the cleaner lines of wood but the easy maintenance of tile.

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I feel the same way. Our tile currently goes up to mid-wall and it is easy to clean so we will probably do that during our remodel. Wood near the toilet seems to look bad quickly as toilet splatter gets on it and seeps in.

12. emptym

[​IMG] Hmm... Tile's looking more attractive. The particular type of wood I mean would be beadboard.

Here's a pic of the bathroom currently.
    [​IMG]

You can see where tub goes on the left, then sink, and toilet on the right. As mentioned, it's small. So tiling the whole thing won't be a lot more than beadboard. The tile trim is pretty pricey though.

Here's what the bathroom looked like originally:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am confident that those windows will not pose a hazard. But you gotta do what makes you feel at ease.

14. emptym

No images of huge glass daggars dancing in your head?

One other dumb question for anyone inclined to opine: regular or epoxy grout? white or gray?

I'm leaning towards epoxy and white. Especially white for the subway tile walls. But I like 1" hexagon floors with gray grout. Or maybe it's just dirty old cement grout I've taken a shine to.

OK, another dumb question: recessed toilet paper roll, like the old bathroom had, or regular one screwed into the wall?

15. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I'm actually doing matte white, beveled subway tile for our backsplash. I'm thinking about doing grey grout because the countertop is a marble look quartz that is white with grey veining.

1 person likes this.
  16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

The window in one of our bedrooms is about that high off the floor. We got new windows, and it's standard glass, so I guess no is the answer. :)

For the bog roll, it seems like a fair few brands of paper are too big for those recessed holders.

17. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I don't see anything particular about those windows that is really worth restoration, to be honest. I would go with replacement.
    Knots will bleed through wood paneling in a bathroom, regardless of the quantity and quality of the primer applied. But if you really want wood, make sure that all sides and edges are primed, even the back side against the wall, to try and keep the moisture at bay as long as possible....knots will still bleed through eventually ,though.

18. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Our old recessed TP holders only work with small rolls. We bought a big pack at Sam's Club before we knew this so we had to use a partial roll before it would fit.

1 person likes this.
  19. emptym

Good point about large rolls not fitting. Fwiw, we pretty much just use Costco tp.

Thanks for the point about knots bleeding, SeaJen. If I understood correctly, you mean that moisture would penetrate the wood paneling through knots? If so, that'd be another pro for tile. I looked around Google images and now think tile wainscoting looks pretty good, so we'll probably go with that.

Re. windows, I found a company that seems like it laminates new glass to old glass to make the new more sound proof, safe, and perhaps insulating:

http://www.ravenrestorationsf.com/#!wc7-noise-reduction-glass/c1oig

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

For wood in a bathroom use cedar or cypress. Clear grain no knots.

1 person likes this.