1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

There is a brand of wifi/learning thermostats that supports seperately connected sensors (as well as geofencing to mobile devices, which is something that doesn't work well for my nests). I cant recall the brand right now though.

@MrG yes, all the functionality.

As for the value of nests, I agree with Suge, not worth retail, but getting them far less than retail is pretty easy and they are really easy to install, setup, and use. First thermostats that work well with our oil-fired base-board heating, too. I dont know if it has saved us money, but it has certainly made us much more comfortable.

2. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Ecobee is a smart thermostat with room sensors

1 person likes this.
  3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Couple of sneak preview pics of the kitchen:

Flooring in (but not cleaned and waxed yet) Purple and Gray VCT tiles.

[​IMG]

Cabinets came in today - set some hardware on there to get a good idea of the final look. Cabinet wood is quarter sawn Khaya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

As a quick note, the nest works fine with a two wire system. Mine runs my oil furnacewith the original cloth covered wires fine. It is a great thermostat,n ot sure I would buy again, but dotn regret it. I also don't think he learning aspect does that much for me

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

If you read up on the recent release of Google Home, it seems like Google may be moving away from the Nest brand. We have one of their smoke/CO detectors which are nice but I am sure there are other brands out there making the same thing for less. I guess that can be said about most things really.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Nice toes

2 people like this.
  7. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Any specific recommendations?

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I've seen Chinese welders wear those same shoes

1 person likes this.
  9. otc

otc Senior member

I don't know if this is in reference to brokencycle and otc's new business, but that's not what we are after.

We're after the opposite almost. Instead of remote temp sensors, fan coil unit owners need a central temp sensor and a set or remote control devices that can switch on any number of heating and cooling units.

Heck, I used to work for a guy in his probably multi-million dollar high rise condo. Probably had 10-15 HVAC units mounted along the windows. If you wanted to change the temperature from 65 to 70, you had to walk to every single unit and press the up arrow on the thermostat 5 times. If there was an easy solution on the market (even if only available to contractors), I am sure this guy would have installed it.

Sell this guy a $250 nest-like device and 10 $100 control units (and offer discounts later for price discrimination) and you're golden.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Soon it will be us in those multi-million dollar high rise condos.

11. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but you appear to be talking about two different issues...centralized control over an array of discrete systems (the quoted problem) and coordinated thermostatic control of multiple devices (your original issue posted previously).

The first problem requires direct digital control which requires that each hvac unit support 3rd party interfacing and a central controller, and given that you appear to be talking about legacy units, that is unlikely so you are left with relay control of each unit which would be prone to breaking the units if not carefully managed, since these units don't like to be cycled at too high a frequency. If you can solve this problem you can turn them on and off, but not set set-points, which is what you want to do.

For the other problem you are looking for a central thermostat that can control a numerous of unit's in the same space and somehow know what the set points should be for each in order to maintain a desired ambient temperature. That is quite the ask, I'd say.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Fan Coil units typically use a standardized line voltage thermostat already. All that thermostat does most of the time is turn a fan on and off, especially in a simple two pipe system (heat and cooling is provided to the whole building through hot/cold water pipes, each HVAC unit just blows it around).

Honeywell makes a number of different units ( depending on whether you want programmability, heating and cooling or just one, auto fan speed control, etc.

The problem is they typically use one per unit. My apartment has one thermostat mounted next to each set of windows. I could easily replace them with a programmable model in 15 minutes with a screwdriver. I could even replace them with a Nest with one of several commonly used relay kits.

What I can't easily do is control them all at once. The thermostats are currently all by windows on completely opposite corners of the unit (on exterior walls). I am not inconvenienced enough to want to start running wires to a centralized interior location. I want an easy "plug it in and let low-power bluetooth or wifi handle everything" solution. That's what Nest did, and that's why Nest has been very successful.

The missing product is something you could probably already hack together from existing home automation bits. Some wireless switches mated to a traditional thermostat.

13. otc

otc Senior member

14. MrG

MrG Senior member

Thanks, guys! I got the first Nest yesterday, and the two-wire thermostat is the one that needs the programmability more, so I may try to wire it this weekend if I can find the time.

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Find the time? It takes like 5 minutes. Just don't browse SF the next time your drop a deuce and spend your newfound extra time installing the Nest.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've been looking into this for a fireplace surround, want a floor to ceiling marble look. Real marble is....expensive. The individual slabs scale really badly for big pieces, depends on much you want to avoid seams and the quality.

A surprisingly nice budget alternative is large aspect thin porcelain. You can get tiles up to something like 4' by 10', and it's ~$2/sq ft. It really does look like marble, and it's pretty durable to boot (you can drive a car on some of the products).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. brokencycle

I have a quartz countertop that looks like marble, and I love it. I don't know if you could do something like that for a fireplace surround, but the nice thing is it has almost zero maintenance requirements, and is almost impervious to damage.

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'm looking at one of those sealed gas things, so I don't think heat tolerance is an issue.

What's the quartz run, something like $40 sq ft?

19. brokencycle

Yeah, about that. Way more than the tile - my only thought was maybe if it could be thinner in your case it would be less, but probably not much less. Agree with you about porcelain is probably the way to go. I'm doing a slate look porcelain tile in the bathroom - no concern about water or anything then.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You can get a 4' x 10' porcelain tile for $80? Something like that would be really heavy and really fragile; you'd think the packaging alone would cost more than that.