• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah save jets for chlorinated water, outside in spas. Or for long distance travel at high speeds.

mike1445

Reaction score
Was leaning away from jets so thanks for validating the opinion. Looks sharp @chrisgold and the wand seems like a smart purchase.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Avoid corner tubs in general, unless you don't ever plan actually use it. They're tremendous water wasters.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This only matters to Californians.

One of my roommates in college asked me to turn off the tap while I brushed my teeth. I was like, WTF?

cmon, I thought the ninja turtles covered this one.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Water is abundant around here, but it's also spectacularly expensive because of the (supposed) cost of sewers and treating waste water to the feds' satisfaction.

It's a water heater size issue also... a big corner jet tub will empty a small water heater.

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd probably be just fine with a 12v from any name brand. I find that I do much, much more "fine" screw driving than actual drilling or any driving application where I'd need any serious power. I might be tempted to buy a electric screwdriver (much easier to use in tasks requiring dexterity) and also a very inexpensive corded drill to use on the occasion you actually have to drill anything.

js0930

Reaction score
Get a drill and an impact driver. Impact drivers are way more useful when it comes I driving screws than a drill. The porter cable 12v combo kit should cover the basics for most homeowners and then buy a corded drill when you need to do some heavy duty drilling.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I have a love for the heavier Makita stuff.. The battery power ones with 16v are great for anything but the heaviest chore. And if they can't do it I'll borrow the hilti from my father in law, but I'd skip that brand for simple home chores, it's heavy duty.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a corded and a cordless drill. More often than not I reach for the corded drill. I think we have a Black and Decker or something but it is 8 years old and just fine.

You will also want to look at how the bit is locked into the drill. Do you want a quick set or the old style of manually locking the bit in?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a bit brace and auger bits which I prefer for any sort of wood boring chore, well over a cordless drill, where the hole has to be free of tearout on the exit or has to be well aligned, or is larger than 3/8". Well kept vintage Irwin bits are very good for softwood boring. I prefer this method over an electric drill and spade bit for pretty much anything that would call for a spade bit.

For up to 1/2" I have a battery powered drill (makita i think), but more importantly I have a good chuck with it and brad point bits. If you are drilling into wood without worry of nails, use a brad point. They're much nicer to bore small holes with then plain twist bits.

I bought the bits from Lee Valley tools, they are good about carrying high quality stuff without insane price tags. I've gotten an occasional turd, or pointless thing from them, but the great majority of their stuff is excellent quality and does exactly as intended.

One of the best things I did for general household screwing (lols) was to get a boxes of general screws, cabinet screws, and a few other varieties of screws and a good quality corresponding bit for every type. I bought most of it from McMaster or Mcfeely's.

Once your pretty well setup with these few things it makes life much easier for a huge majority of easy tasks for around the house. The same ones that turn into a nightmare if you're dealing with ****** hardware or tools.

One last note; I bought a set of Wera brand bits, manual phillips screwdrivers of the normal range in sizes and screwdriver handle which can accept a typical hex tip (manual bits). I cant think of a household chore where this stuff does not get put to use.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads