• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Turk, wondering how that bearing got so rusted. That would suggest a leak somewhere, would it not?

I'd keep an eye on the washer if I were you. Bearing retention in a concentricity-sensitive application is a difficult issue, and I bet its at least part of the reason the mfg was hesitant to do or warrant the repair. Trust me, bearings, bearing retention bores, concentricity, and bearing noise in long-term applications is something I do every. single. day.

Lasted two years, and I got this:

The seal pretty obviously failed this time.

I'm getting pretty good at tearing down that washing machine--only about four hours from start to finish. Got a different seal from a different source this time and made sure to seat that sucker all the way down, then packed it with wheel bearing grease. It works for wheel bearings, so why not?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Painstakingly fitted three layers of R-3.2 1/2" foam to the 18' overhead door in my detached garage. None of the panels were the same size and all had to be composed of at least two pieces of foam to fit them in, the ones on the right, three pieces. Then I slid in some plastic wall sheets over it for a finished look. The pockets on this door were too large for the premade garage door insulation kits.

Total cost was about $150 for the materials with the liberal use of that Lowes $15 off $50 coupon. I don't even know how many 4x8 foam panels it took -- 12 or 13, plus 4.5 of the plastic sheets. Adds a lot of weight so I'll have to adjust the door springs at some point.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Painstakingly fitted three layers of R-3.2 1/2" foam to the 18' overhead door in my detached garage. None of the panels were the same size and all had to be composed of at least two pieces of foam to fit them in, the ones on the right, three pieces. Then I slid in some plastic wall sheets over it for a finished look. The pockets on this door were too large for the premade garage door insulation kits.

Total cost was about $150 for the materials with the liberal use of that Lowes $15 off $50 coupon. I don't even know how many 4x8 foam panels it took -- 12 or 13, plus 4.5 of the plastic sheets. Adds a lot of weight so I'll have to adjust the door springs at some point.

Why?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eyeballing it, he has a wood working shop in the garage. I did the same think when I had my shop outside as well. otherwise it is really hard to motivate yourself to go out and work after October.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Eyeballing it, he has a wood working shop in the garage. I did the same think when I had my shop outside as well. otherwise it is really hard to motivate yourself to go out and work after October. 

To give another reason, many modern home designs have the garage under inhabited space on the second floor. Thus, keeping the garage from fluctuating too much helps that room over the garage. (My master bedroom is over the garage in my home, as is many of my neighbors.)

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. Make sure any gaps between the door and the floor and the door frame, and between the door panels, are rubber sealed. Putting insulation on the panels will do next to nothing if air can flow in and out.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The garage definitely can be partially conditioned space and I think there's real utility in insulating the door.

But this is a separate building from my house. I am insulating it because I plan to keep it climate controlled. Comfort is one reason, but another big one is humidity. Wood for furniture needs to be stored at humidity comparable to a house or it will warp when brought inside. There are also big temperature / humidity swings around here so condensation is a major issue too. Don't want all those nice cast iron tops and fine cutting tools to rust.

I would not have done so much insulation, but there just happened to be 1.5" pockets in the door so three layers fit perfectly. I'm going to go back and do the door on the garage on the house, too, but I may just glue in one layer. Three layers plus the plastic weighs a lot; I may need to replace the springs to have the door work properly.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Settling on a new place on Monday. The place is near perfect but it doesn't have those neat soft-close cabinet and drawers in the kitchen. How hard are those to DIY and anyone got a link to get an idea of cost?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just installed the ones white/azn posted and they work well, very easy to install. Heavier doors may require two of them.

I have not yet found an affordable or easy solution to retro-fitting soft-close drawers, if anybody does please share.

Also Ikea has these that are even easier and cheaper, simply clip in. Not sure if they are Ikea-specific though; they clipped into my hinges just fine but was not long enough: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80126213/

ChrisGold

Reaction score

I just installed the ones white/azn posted and they work well, very easy to install. Heavier doors may require two of them.

I have not yet found an affordable or easy solution to retro-fitting soft-close drawers, if anybody does please share.

Also Ikea has these that are even easier and cheaper, simply clip in. Not sure if they are Ikea-specific though; they clipped into my hinges just fine but was not long enough: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80126213/

A new set of soft close drawer slides are $20 at Home Depot. You just need to get the proper size and replace each set on the existing drawer. Bit of a pain but it can be done if it's that important to you.

I stumbled across them today (actually at Lowes) in stock when I was buying some door bumpers, so they are at the local stores.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-...xtension-Drawer-Slide-2-Pack-942405/205171306

mike1445

Reaction score
we're renovating our attic as a master bed/bath, I wouldn't normally go for a dedicated bath but we've got a perfect space for a corner tub. Can anyone speak for or against certain brands? jetted, air or just soaker?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you must have a tub, go soaker. Unless used regularly and cleaned regularly, the pipes on jetted tubs hold mold and mildew so when you turn them on it ruins your bath.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

If you must have a tub, go soaker.  Unless used regularly and cleaned regularly, the pipes on jetted tubs hold mold and mildew so when you turn them on it ruins your bath.

Totally agree. Just tore out my jetted tub. Go without use for a couple of weeks and it needs to be filled and then circulated and drained before use. IMO not worth the hassle. Just installed this, which will also save some $$. Also, look for a spout with integrated spray wand. They come in very handy when using a soaking tub.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads