1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Anyone have marblw floors? No, seriously...

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

They tend to over harvest so it's becoming more rare, especially in large slabs which means they're burning through the oldest growth. True, it is not a real rosewood.

All things considered. A bit excessive for either flooring or timberframe.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Google is your friend.

Martindale is an abrasion test/standard used on fabric.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  4. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

No it really wasn't. We worked on it for six months before we moved in. Underpriced place on a really nice street downtown, for sale by owner so we jumped on it . Everything I want to do from here out, other than the AC and that pier, is more aesthetic and personal choice than anything else.

1 person likes this.
  5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My inlaws have them in their condo. They bitch more about them being in the kitchen that they do about the entry way marble. The only marble in our house is the threshold between the bathrooms and the hardwood floors which looks nice.

1 person likes this.
  6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Our foyer is marble. It's ugly though. We're going to put down wood look tile in there and in the adjacent sitting room.

1 person likes this.
  7. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Hmmm, and I thought marble would be really nice...

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

In the master and guest bathrooms. Nothing special, just white carrera - which can be nice depending on shape/pattern/orders/etc., but mine is boring 8x8ish tiles. The one thing I do like (and I didn't think I'd care about) is that it's a heated floor in the master.

1 person likes this.
  10. otc

otc Senior member

I have black floor tiles in my bathroom.

I don't recommend it.

11. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I love rug shopping and I came into it as a complete noob. When we needed our first large rug (8' x 10'), we visited a few places from the ones selling machine-made designer rugs to the very traditional Persian places.

Buying that first Persian rug was one of the best decisions we've made. It was also very low risk since the shop came to our house with the four rugs we liked so we could see them in place. And they had a buyback policy--if you change your mind on the rug a few years down the road, they offered store credit for the full purchase price. (We've actually taken advantage of this once and they didn't even charge for cleaning.)

I'm guessing a lot of rug dealers will have similar policies since Persian rugs are more likely to rise in value than decline.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We have some hand-me-down Persian rugs and they look better with age. We have a Faux-Persian that is machine made but the older worn Persian just has this different quality to it.

13. dcg

dcg Senior member

Thanks gents - you're confirming what I'm reading about good rugs. Challenge is that I'll need at least 3 large ones (living room, kitchen, family room). Trying to figure out where the sweet spot is where you get to something that'll really last - what I don't want to do is end up somewhere in the middle where I'm paying a good amount for a 5-10 year rug. May end up with some cheapies for the short term while I gradually search for nicer stuff.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Kitchen?

Doesn't seem like somewhere you'd want an expensive rug. Maybe something like a big jute/sisal/seagrass rug that is hard wearing and easy to clean/stain resistant. Not something you want to sit directly on, but I doubt anyone will be sitting on the floor of your kitchen.

Fairly inexpensive too.

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Meant dining room...had food on my mind :)

16. otc

otc Senior member

I suppose my suggestion applies there too. Good surface for chairs that are constantly being moved and crumbs that are being spilled.

17. suited

suited Senior member

Is it common to tip service people? We had the carpet replaced on the stairs and 2nd floor with two guys doing the work. They removed the old carpet, moved the furniture (including disassembling and reassembling the bed) and installed the new carpet. They did a good job and cleaned up afterward. I gave them $20 each. We don't tip everyone that does work on the house but we take care of people when we think it's deserved. I don't imagine my parents generation doing this and based on the workers' reactions I get the impression that most people don't tip them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. dcg

dcg Senior member

Bolded is how I handle things as well, and I make a point to ask if there's anything I can get for them while they're working. No one's ever taken me up on it, but can't hurt to be on the good side of the guys who are doing work in your home.

Verizon messed up the timing on my FIOS install, but the guy himself was good when he got here. Tried to give him a twenty at the end, but he wouldn't take it.

19. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I tip when it's clear they are not the owners doing the work, and if they do a good job, clean up well, etc... $10 to $20 depending on how much work was involved.

20. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Ha, I just told my wife today to tip the refrigerator delivery guys. She questioned me on it. Anyone who has done manual labor would probably agree with tipping. Even $5 makes these guys days.