1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Thanks for posting, some inspirational shacks posted there to be sure.. I am really loving the bare minimums these days..

2. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

3. msg

msg Senior member

Thanks, helpful advice. Agreed modern won't fit. I'll see what I can find - all the stores near me are on a modern kick.

1 person likes this.
  4. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Unfortunately this is a bit out of the budget. I'd say around $3,500 would be the absolute max we could do for a table and six chairs, but it would have to be something spectacular to convince us to spend more than $2,500.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Have you tried looking at auction websites? While looking for a set of Chippendale style chairs, auctions are the best price as long as the pieces are in good condition.

As for West Elm, I think one of our chairs is from there. It is a fabric covered chair and while it does not get sat it often, it is comfortable. Quality isn't like high end but passable.

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Installed a new shower door in the master bath yesterday. It makes the bathroom look larger and much better overall. Next step is to pick out a new vanity, tile to replace the vinyl, and paint, and light fixture.

1 person likes this.
  7. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

I haven't tried that route yet. Any specific sites I should try? Auctions are a foreign language to me.

I found a few nice tables on Room & Board also.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

9. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

towel warmers, though? Is it a gimmick or a nice perk?

10. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I couldn't live without towel warmers. (First world problems) Beside the fact that warm towels feel great, they help immediately dry your towels which helps take dampness out of the room.

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

auctionzip.com is another one that is good. An auctioneer friend uses that exclusively for online but still said he only gets about 10% from online sales.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Kitchen is really coming together. Cabinets in, soapstone laminate counters will be in by the end of the week. 90% sure I am going with a white subway tile backsplash.

Oh, and the appliances were delivered Saturday. We ran water to the fridge but for some reason it's not making ice. I think piercing the water line from the bottom was a mistake - a coworker told me he did it this way but sediment blocked the flow of water.

I'll post some pics this weekend.

2 people like this.
  13. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Post dem Picts.

My wife, my mother, and I went over some potential drawings for our kitchen remodel coming up (my mother has always done her own drafting so that's nice to take advantage of!) getting close to figuring out the layout.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    2 people like this.
  14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

For lefty, found this picture of the side deck. Great thing about this place is the deck wraps around 3 sides of the cabin, with a hot tub on the rear side, facing the forest. It's covered by the roof, so it makes for a great place to sit and watch the mountain storms pass through..

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Looks really great, Gnatty.

What's the mosquito situation like? I remember renting a cabin outside Pigeon Forge in the 90s and think I donated a few quarts while using the hottub.

16. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Thanks buddy. As far as mosquitoes go, I think of the 8 years I've owned this place now, I recall one year where they seemed to be noticeably pesky, and that was actually last year..

1 person likes this.
  17. lefty

lefty Senior member

Very nice. When was this built?

lefty

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Also it's pretty cool, she has our layout, but also made movable cutout pieces for various potential appliances or cabinet/island configurations. For example, you can see above that I have the fridge part overlaid, which also shows the door swing paths - the same is true for the double oven cutout. She could have had a good career as a designer if she hadn't decided to raise yours truly and wasn't such a bear to work with.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

No idea. I don't think it's any older than 15 to 20 years though..

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Just curious. Our now ex-Canadian place was a rebuilt barn. Unfortunately, the person who built it left the 20" x 20" logs on the property over a winter and a third of them were stolen. Which made thick mortar necessary to make up the difference. I came to love the look.

Like to see more - it's pretty sweet.

lefty