1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I wish I had white walls...at least in my living/dining rooms and hallway. Bathroom too I guess, but I think some fixtures and built in items would need to be brightened up before it could support a brighter color. Bedroom I could accept a mellow color that's not white...although I would also be ok with white.

I believe the Benjamin Moore Simply White is a lovely color (although they just named it color of the year for 2016...whatever that means). Might be better as trim and ceiling paint with a slightly darker shade for the walls though...depends how bright the room already is.

In my old garden unit, I think I went with it on the walls and a brighter white on the ceiling, but I now have gigantic windows so I think I would step it down a notch if I repainted.

But I also like bold splashes of color in my furniture/furnishings rather than on my walls...white would probably look kind of sad if all of your furniture and carpeting was drab neutrals.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. otc

otc Senior member

Also, the Benjamin Moore Regal Classic in Matte is my favorite paint I have ever applied. Unfortunately it might be hard to get now since their website seems to be pimping a new "Regal Select" line which appears to be a different paint (now it is self priming).

The Matte was different from the rest of the line. Closer to Flat than Eggshell, but contained some sort of ceramic that made it more durable and scrubbable than other paints at that low-sheen level. Stuff applied like a dream, and even in my kitchen sans-backsplashes, I never had any trouble keeping it clean.

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I think most white walls look like crap in a few years when they accumulate various marks.

1 person likes this.
  4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I hate real estate agents, but now ours.

Handbuilt out of salvaged material.
    Main cabin:

[​IMG]

Bunkie 1 - which I may turn into a sauna:

[​IMG]

Bunkie 2:

[​IMG]

Inside main:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joinery:

[​IMG]

lefty

7 people like this.
  5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I sure hope you never get termites, lefty. Gorgeous cabin. Catskills?

jbarwick: I thought the Simply White was softer and not too harsh? I read that BM has a Decorator's White which is very bright, and I don't think I want that. My house is a small Cape Cod but plenty of windows. Then again I live in the Northeast, so it's not like there's sparkling sunlight pouring in at all times.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yes, Catskills, but too far for the hicksters to travel in an electric car. No termites up there. Carpenter ants.

Buy as many small pots of BM whites that catch your eye and paint 2' x 2' squares on your LR wall. Live with them for a week or so. Pick.

lefty

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

It is hard to get a sense of the different whites on a computer screen but it seems there is a little bit of a difference. If anything, paint one room and see how you like it. We had one color called "hint of mocha" which made the walls look like they were white walls with a touch of dirt. I didn't like it but then again we weren't engaged when she decided on that color.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Sweet cabin. That's how they should be.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice, lefty. Walk in or drive in?

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks.

Drive, but down a private unmaintained and rough road. A few cabins - mostly hunters - visible through winter woods.

Spring fed water, compost toilet - literally a bucket that the owners would fill with peat moss and then compost on the back acreage - wood heat. Electric though, which makes all the difference in the world. I can listen to my Mantovani records and add ice to my drink.

Not perfect land - just a cool cheap cabin and I was really tired of looking.

lefty

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Miss Right Now. Sounds and looks cool (except for the toilet...)

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

[​IMG]

lefty

3 people like this.
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I was about to say, that cabin looks like lefty's and then I saw who posted it.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Predictable or consistent?

Side view:

[​IMG]

Inside bunkie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seat of power:

[​IMG]

Island has a piece of marble inlaid - heavy as hell:

[​IMG]

Stair/shelf to loft:

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You posted the first pic in a different thread and just remembered it.

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Did I? I posted a few I was interested in but I didn't think this one.

Anyway, Happy New Year, Finn.

lefty

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

100% sure.

Thanks you to.

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

lefty, that is one hell of a cabin. I am jealous.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks, but WTF are you doing on SF at 9:30 on NYE? Put the computer down and go out, dude.

lefty

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Don't worry, heading out to meet up with the new lady soon. She is erudite and likes Seinfeld; that's marriage material.