1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I wasn't a plumber but I worked for the same companies and belonged to the same local union.When things got slow you did what you had to do for a paycheck. On remodels like hospitals or schools we ran bottle brushes thru the drains and traps with lots of running water. Reduced the gag factor considerably

2. otc

otc Senior member

This stuff is pretty great.

if you aren't in a hurry to break something apart, flush with boiling water and pour some of this (mixed with a pint of hot water) down before you go to bed. Do it a few days in a row for extra effect. Won't remove physical stuff, but will clear up much of the disgusting slime that is holding it all together.

Cheap per dose and not nasty aggressive chemical cleaners, so you can also pour some down the kitchen sink once a month just for fun.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Thanks for the ideas, I will use them before taking the bathrooms apart again next year to replace the vanities.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You'd rather get chemicals on you than good old fashioned slime?

5. SkinnyGoomba

6. otc

otc Senior member

That enzyme cleaner is pretty harmless. Just keep it out of your eyes and you should be fine. Technically it is categorized as a biological agent rather than a chemical agent...whatever that means.

7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

That it breaks down the fats, proteins, whatever to smaller sizes on the molecular level. Used inline with say some bacteria one could use it to liquify almost anything organic.
    Enzymes are also be used to speed up chemical reactions.

8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I started prepping the nursery this weekend by filling in holes and nicks in the wall in preparation for paint. After close inspection, it really looks like the previous owners painted over whatever was on the walls and did not do any prep work which makes it a bear for me. A joint knife/scraper has helped clean up the walls a bit without any side effects like chunks coming out of the dry wall.

I was hoping to paint over the New Years holiday but the curtains we ordered will not be in until mid-January and I would like to match the wall color to the material. They are a dark emerald green so the wall color will either be a shade of tan or gray. We may have to wait until we decide on a fabric for a chair as well but that is my wife's job. I may go ahead and paint the ceiling and closet interior as the closets are a dark shade which makes lighting for clothes tough.

I also realized the issue with our windows as they are tough to open and the only season I have tried is summer. It seems the wood swells with the summer humidity making them impossible to open but the colder winter weather has made them easy to open. This may have moved windows up on the replacement list.

9. SkinnyGoomba

Prep is always the biggest part, if you are increasing the level of gloss you'll want to be very careful to make the walls smooth.

Whoever did the original prep on my house did a real slap-dash job of it, so I go over nearly every seam on both sides. I also take the opportunity to fix nail pops, I remove the nail without damaging the surrounding drywall and replace it with a screw. I can paint a room in about a day, but the drywall prep usually takes some time.

Some of it has been really goofy....like having skipped taping the seam all together, or having skipped coating the tape...lol. The previous owner did not seem to care at all and neither did his painter, because they simply painted over all of that stuff. Cracked seams on the ceiling that someone used paint to fix....and not surprisingly it did not fix it for long.

So, I feel your pain.....and oddly enough, at this point I sort of enjoy it. Seeing a wall, painted in eggshell, that does not show seams or nails is a uniquely satisfying experience.

Side note, replacing the ugly as sin contractor grade fan in the bedroom....honestly would like to just ditch it all together, but my wife is convinced we need to have a fan.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The nail pops are more obvious in the bathrooms with only a couple showing in the bedroom that I took care of. The bathrooms will have their sheet rock replaced during updating of the bathrooms in the future. I am glad the seam work is good, it is just holes from when the room was one of original owners son's room. We will be replacing the fan with some sort of light fixture just haven't decided on what would look best with 8' ceilings. I haven't found a good brand for light fixtures.

11. SkinnyGoomba

I've had good experiences with Luceplan, Artemide and Louis Poulsen. Poulsen installs can be a bit tricky because they, generally, do not overlap the box by a large margin, which can be tough if the drywall is not perfect around the box, but if everything is right they look great.

I like the metropoli lamp from Luceplan, I used it in my basement stairwell. Well built, easy on bulbs and has a nice reveal around the top so it can hide inconsistencies in the drywall near the base.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I'm about to hang a Poulsen lamp that I got with a bare wire.

any idea for a replacement top piece (what is it even called? mounting plate?) that would cover the hole left by a contractor-grade ceiling fan? I can't come up with the right words to google.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Canopy! the word appears to be canopy.

At least that's what I found by googling installation instructions for various poulsen lamps and hoping they had a detailed parts diagram.

Now I just have to find one that looks decent.

14. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

I'm going to jump in on this thread... my wife and I purchased our second new construction home last May from Pulte Homes. We basically took contractor grade everything because the upgrade fees were outrageous, and we're replacing things slowly over time. So far we've really only done the floors: we replaced the entire first floor carpet and tile (except for bathrooms) with a Mannington laminate, and we replaced the baseboards at the same time. Shortly after the new year we plan on doing crown moulding throughout first floor and then painting the interior. Second floor project won't start for a few years: that's going to be converted into a home theater.

Hope I'll be able to contribute and find helpful info over time.

15. SkinnyGoomba

You can get one from poulsen....or eBay.

16. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Why pay the premium for new construction if you're planning on changing a lot of stuff anyway?

3 people like this.
  17. SkinnyGoomba

I always found this baffling as well, but one of my friends went through it recently including hiring a contractor to do all of the real detail work after the fact (closets, fixtures, ect, ect) and all told I believe it was much less involved than a renovation.

I've yet to grasp why most home builders cant simply install the box and cap it for the homeowner to install their own fixtures, but that seems to be the case for most of them.

18. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Anyone have experience making their own cabinets? I have been debating the merits of just doing it. 20k from Ikea doesn't really seem all that reasonable for the kitchen.

19. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

20. SkinnyGoomba

You may want to source the carcasses from a local cabinet shop and do the install yourself.

I'm building a cabinet as a hobby, but it's a bit different than kitchen cabinetry, which will involve some carpentry work as well.