1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I can say the lead paint thing isn't that big of a deal. My siding tested positive for lead, and it cost me like $300 or something when I resided because they had to put up a perimeter of plastic and such.

As for asbestos, I know our house has asbestos floor tile in the master bedroom/closet, and I was told it was better to just carpet over it than try to remove it.

2. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Being a steamfitter we worked with those guys all the time.We were doing a steamline at Stanford once when their boss shows up ,his panties all in a bunch yellin "where are my abaters"I told him they were over under a tree having coffee. Then I asked him if he was the master abater.He didn't think it was funny

2 people like this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am of course not an expert here but I have had to hire them a few times in the last several years. What I've always heard is that if it's "encapsulated" it's fine. Sounds like that is the case with your tiles.

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

So I looked at the house. It's very rough around the edges, which is what I expected, but as someone who has not been through this process before the amount of work seems scary. But my father (experienced home buyer and home flipper), the realtor, and the contractor seem to think this is a pretty standard job. The fact that the house is on the small side means none of the jobs are particularly large or time-consuming.

Basically, we would do the following:

-One wall of foundation taken out and repoured, one wall shored up. Trench dug around basement floor to catch any water and a drainage pipe from the gutters to the trough near the street.
    -About 1/3 of basement floor is asbestos tile. Would need to be abated. No asbestos on any pipes.
    -A small portion of the upstairs has intact vinyl flooring which is probably asbestos. I would carpet over this.
    -New roof.
    -Gut kitchen - new counters, appliances, floors, cabinets, etc.
    -Reno the bathroom - new vanity, toilet, shower.
    -New paint throughout house.
    -Rip up disgusting shag carpets and redo the hardwood floors. We ripped up a big chunk of the living room carpet and the hardwood appears to be in great shape.
    -New asphalt driveway.
    -Siding is aluminum and needs either a paint job or replacement. This is not a must-do and I could hold off and just pay cash for it down the road.

It seems that we can do all this for $35K-$40K which would get me to a mortgage of $125K-$130K. If we can get the property taxes lowered a bit the mortgage, insurance, and prop tax escrow would wind up at $950 per month.

I am leaning towards yes...my father is assuming all of the risk and I'm not going to get a renovated home around here for $130K. But this is my first experience with homebuying and it is hard for me to see beyond the shabby paint jobs and all that. I also need to keep in mind that this doesn't need to be a forever home.

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Oh, on the plumbing and electrical: there were some newer looking PVC sewer drainage pipes in the basement. The water pressure was excellent, which is apparently a sign that there is little corrosion in the pipes as is common with galvanized. Saw some copper but didn't see galvanized.

There's a breaker box that looks newer. I didn't pull the covers to check the wiring but will do so again.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Friable is the term they use.Asbestos is only dangerous in the lungs,so any way it can be rendered "unbreathable" is effective such as soaking with water or encapsulating with paint.Toxic materials are given a rating called a lower exposure limit.It is that point at which ,if exceeded,a material is potentially harmful.Due to the fact that one fiber has the potential to develop into asbestosis its LEL is zero.Another interesting thing about asbestos is that in order to cause a problem in the lungs the fiber must be of a certain size,too small no prob too big no prob.What this means is you can breath tons of it without trouble or on the other hand breath one fiber one time and die of asbestosis

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Are you going to be living in the house while all this construction/renovation is happening?

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Oh absolutely not. I will only be there to throw in some sweat equity when needed.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just FYI doing two sit ups and breaking out in a sweat is not equity. ;)

10. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Do it. Seems like it might be a good investment t and starting with equity is always a great thing because it takes foreverto build it.also, doing the work yourself is a great feeling (if you are that type of guy. I have always enjoyed projects that I can see and feel the result of.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Getting there. Kiara seems to like it.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. brokencycle

Coming along nicely.

Anyone have recommendations on under cabinet lighting? It seems like I can get 18" LED bar lights by GE for ~$20/ea, but there are some that are like $100/ea. Is there a huge difference? Also, one of my coworkers recommended getting a motion sensor for them. Thoughts?

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LEDs have really come a long way. I think the more expensive ones give you RGBs so you can change the ambient lighting. Make sure to get a kit that allows you to wire a switch/outlet combo to an existing outlet. That's what I looked at anyway but have not yet done it.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

One big difference would be the color rendering index of the lights. Cheap LEDs tend to wash out color pretty badly. > 80 CRI is usually thought of as being pretty good for LEDs. Good fluorescents are 90% plus. Cheap LEDs might be in the 60s.

ETA: IIRC for an LED to get the "energy star" label it has to be 80% plus CRI. You might look for that.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. brokencycle

Thanks gentlemen. That's what I was thinking - definitely want hardwired because we have an empty switch already. My research indicates you want at least 300 lumens as well. I'll keep my eye on the color index: a poor color rendering may make the kitchen look worse than not having it.

16. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Well, we made a cash offer today. Let's see what happens.

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

"I don't know if you've ever seen a hundred thousand dollars before, except perhaps in the movies. But let me show you something that gets lost in the translation."

[opens briefcase revealing single stack of bills]

1 person likes this.
  18. otc

otc Senior member

Better be small bills...otherwise it isn't really that impressive looking.

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's funny that Americans hate asphalt and thinks it will break on sight, but all Scandinavian roads are made of it and we get some harsh winters.

Concrete is only used on industrial eatate, with lots of heavy machinery.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Are your roads actually made of asphalt, or have they just been resurfaced with it?