The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Thoughts on porcelain tile with wood look? I'm thinking about the foyer and I've decided man made tile is the way to go (snow and water on shoes).

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Ceramic, not porcelain

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Get quality ones that actually look like wood.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Get a proper welcome mat and wipe your shoes outside?

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I hate wood-look anything, just get tile that looks like tile.

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

well, yeah

You don't understand lake effect.

Some I've seen really do look like wood, others are wood-esque but still cool

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I am going to put that stuff in a bathroom. Unfortunately it turns out that tiling on plywood is harder than I'd initially thought so I still haven't gotten around to it. The old grout cracked and the tiles came loose because they were improperly installed.

All you need is a decoupling membrane (Ditra) but the stuff costs more than the tile. It's basically impossible to install it level with the surrounding 3/8" engineered wood floors so I decided to go a little thicker and put in the heated bathroom floor after all.

I'll be tackling this one within the month or so. I did buy the tile already (6x24 from home depot, about $2.50 per square foot) and I'm pretty happy with how it looks. The comparable stuff at Lowes looked crummy, so watch out. I went to some flooring stores and they had some higher end tiles that looked really nice but they were all in exaggerated, affected patterns.

If I end up liking it I may end up putting it in the kitchen. But removing 500 square feet or more of old tile would be miserable.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

post pics when you finish

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I am going to redo the rest of the bathroom too (or at least freshen it up a bit) so it might be a year from now. It's a weird guest bathroom. There's literally 20 square feet of countertop and just one sink. A big makeup vanity with a mirror you can't use without sitting down. A whirlpool tub and no separate shower. It's probably 90 square feet and has no window but has two doors to the hallway.

I'm ambivalent about doing any work to it at all the way it's laid out. If I decide to keep the house for a long time I'd probably end up chopping most of it off. So I don't want to spend a couple thousand (and a lot of hours) redoing it in its present state. I probably will anyway though.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I nice Danish modern wood porcelain tile would be my suggestion.

11. otc

otc Senior member

Whatever man, I've been loving the midcentury danish design since before it got cool again. Can't wait for it to become uncool again so that I can buy it all cheap.

Just imagine how many PH lamps I could have! I could use my collection of small PH lamps to illuminate my collection of large PH lamps!

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Being really into Danish modern strikes me as being really into Wonder Bread or something else equally exciting. Maybe being a devoted aficionado of the Kia Sephia.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Don't say such hurtful things.

I'm a woodworker, everyone who knows this needs to tell me about this guy, named George Nakashima, who did some woodwork. It doesn't kill my enjoyment of his work, for the same reason I can still enjoy Danish modern ( wegner, juhl, kjearholm, ect not the ubiquitous) even in times when the shell chair seems to be stiff competition for eames in every damned catalog.

The decorator crowd does tend to hang onto things and flog the shit out of them until you are really tired of seeing it,

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I got tired of Danish modernism 10 years ago, for the most part at least around here, it seems like a replacement for taste and creativity.

15. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Well do you folks think the same exact things could be said about most decorative objects or furniture? Leather Chesterfield sofas come to mind immediately or art deco club chairs. Look at the Greek or Roman Empires decorative tastes, for fuck sake, they were so much into marble statuary it is disgusting...:) Did Greeks really have any taste at all?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014