1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yup, a glass material. There are actually LEDs underneath and it lights them up quite nicely. It's a pretty cool looking thing, all in all, and it's not trying to be something it isn't, i.e. a wood burning fireplace.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Sellers left us a big ass frameless mirror I want to hang in my home gym. It's seriously like 8x4 feet. I was going to hang it myself by screwing an 8' 2x4 into each stud, but I've tried 2 studfinders so far and they are both complete crap. Would it be worth having a contractor do? I don't want to die.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Does it have mounting points/hardware already? I bet it doesn't. A mirror that large is probably supposed to be glued in place rather than hung, at least I would think.

As far as finding studs, it should be easy with the stud finder. Just keep trying different spots until you get 16" on center hits. The thing self-calibrates when you first activate it, so start on different spots. If it still doesn't work, get a flash light and holding it up against the drywall looking for seams -- you should be able to see them, or raised spots from nail/screw heads. If it comes down to it, you can poke a tiny hole through the drywall with an awl or small nail to be sure.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. Cool The Kid

It is just a big pane of glass. It was in their bathroom before, but for some reason they took it down. I will try a more expensive stud finder, but the one I had before was totally inconsistent. I will try the flashlight trick too. Even if I glue the mirror I need to temporarily support it, and if I am going to do that I would rather just keep the support in place.

5. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I wouldn't give up on the stud finder. Like I said, the trick to using it is that you can't start it over a stud or other obstruction. Put it flat on the wall and press the button, let it calibrate, then move it around. Do that a couple times, turning it off in between attempts. Try it higher and lower on the wall, or left and right. When it hits 16" (or maybe 24") on center, you've found your studs.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I've heard of people using strong magnets before to find studs. Also I am sure you thought of this but are there studs in your home gym wall where you want the mirror? Like not just drywall stuck to a concrete block wall but an interior wall or if it does abut to a concrete wall that they put studs or something for moisture purposes.

7. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

+1, I have bought the least expensive stud finders and they work fine. I use pencil marks and confirm it with a few runs, finding the inside and the outside of the stud before I drill into them. As for the mirror, something that large, no matter what else you use on it, would really be helped with glue on the back. It keeps it from pulling off the wall at all and putting stresses on the mechanical supports.

1 person likes this.
  8. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Find what may be a stud, and verify it by driving a very small nail into the drywall, - if you hit wood, there you go. If the nail goes through the drywall and then nothing - try a different spot.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Were you originally trying to go for wood/ceramic look, or always intending for the LED/glass style?

10. Cool The Kid

It is an interior wall. There are two outlets on the wall under where the mirror will go so I know there are at least 2 studs in it lol. I will give the studfinder another go tonight.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Outlets boxes are almost always attached to a stud on one side or the other. From there you can probably extrapolate the rest of the studs' positions if they're 16" on center.

Also you can use a magnet to find the studs by looking for the nails or screws holding the drywall on. That's another good suggestion.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was never going for the wood look. There's a wood burning fireplace there right now so I'd stick with the real thing. I am not a fan of gas fireplaces that try to not be gas fireplaces.

As to stud finders...I can't use them as they always point to me. :rimshot:

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Ah okay, was just wondering what style you were going for.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Anybody have a cabin? We were up in Michigan last week and loved it. They're pretty cheap and you can get a decent one for less than 100k. What are the draw backs?

1 person likes this.
  15. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Michigan cabins are the best. Where are you looking? are you going to use it for snow sports as well? if not, winterizing is absolutely essential. There are some great deals up there.

16. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

We'll being a native of Texas I don't know anything about winter sports so it'd probably be for the summer though I wouldn't be opposed to coming in fall and spring. I'd like to keep it within a 4 hr drive of where we live so I think that means about Cadillac or South. We're not actually at the stage of really buying yet but I am investigating owning. Again being from Texas I know absolutely nothing about the pitfalls. I'd like a lot of privacy so several acres would be necessary and probably lots of trees too. Access to water would be nice as well. Oh, and indoor plumbing, my wife has ruled out an outhouse haha.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Running into deer after dark = big drawback.

I don't want vacation property as everyone I know with one feels like they need to spend all their vacation time there and seem to spend a material amount of time/money keeping it up. Seems like places that sit empty take more care than places being lived in based on my observations.

18. otc

otc Senior member

On the lake?
    My grandparents had one in southwestern MI my entire childhood through about 2 years ago and it was fucking awesome. If they had waited like 2 more years to sell it, I would have made some very poor financial decisions in order to become the proud owner of it.

But you aren't going to find properties by the big lake like that for under $100k (at least not anywhere drivable from Chicago). And even the ones that are on cheaper side are all getting bought out and either torn down to replace with a McVacationHomes or are getting gutted and renovated with overly high end finishes.

To me, a cabin like that should be low maintenance and low amenity. Something to go escape from the day to day. Don't have to worry about grinding sand into your rare hardwood floor because you don't have them. Don't need huge bedrooms, just need room to sleep a lot of friends. Etc.

19. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

This is my thought on vacation property as well. Unless you are monitizing the property in some way, I find vacation property a tough purchase due to utilization being so low.

20. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Being in the Northeast it's almost mandatory to buy a second home at the beach by your 40s, but I see so many families that are slaves to "pack it all up" every Friday night and then do it all over again on Sunday night, fighting traffic both ways. They disappear until school is back in session, and I honestly think that at least half of them only do it because they spent so much money on the house, they feel obligated to use it every weekend. We've considered a condo in the city, to make it easier to go to sporting events, shows, dinners, etc... because then it's not about running down every weekend, we'd use it on random nights whenever the mood struck.