• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second dumpster is full. Third coming. Master bed demo done. Bathroom tomorrow. Luckily I have a helper tomorrow.

We pulled a good amount of the old BX wiring and replaced with modern romex. Man I love working on the lighting arrangements. Every bulb is going to phillips hue, color and edisons. My bulb count pretty much maxes out the system I ******* love it.

Buying a house has been the best thing for me. It's tamed me and made my creative juices flow again.

Saved piles of lathe to turn into (hopefully) a kitchen table and coffee table. Butcherblock style.

The house behind me, half the size with no basement and half the yard just sold for more than I paid for my place. I literally have the biggest house in the neighborhood, and I'm going to put my work into it to make it the nicest.

Man, I feel like this thread has become my home diary 🤣
Fyi, you can now use multiple hue base stations. A while ago these wouldn’t play nice with each other, but that was resolved in the past year or so. With 50 bulbs per base station, I’d say go nuts😅

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:censored: 2nd failed attempt at delivery of a tall furniture item (96" out of the box, arrived assembled) to the 2nd floor of my city home. First attempt 2 w/ men and they said it's too tall and wide, and too heavy (300lbs), they took measurements and photographs of the relatively tight stairwells they'd have to navigate, and recommended a 4 man crew. That team came today and was just like "yeah it's not going to work." Why'd they send 4 men? "To show you it won't work." They offered to leave the furniture, as if I need an 8 ft tall bookcase in my garage. They also recommended getting it hoisted up through our 2nd story balcony at our own expense as if this were an heirloom piano, rather than questionably made, likely overpriced, "wood" furniture. It's a bit perplexing because we've had some pretty large items brought up through the staircase but I think they just didn't want to expend the energy (mental or physical) to figure it out.

These "modern, open concept" 3-4 story city homes have 12 ft ceilings which dwarf a lot of furniture sold in stores, so purchasing items to scale for the height and size of the walls feels necessary to keep the proportions right. That's challenging enough, but then the builders put in a tight stairwell which turns twice, to maximize square footage, so even if you find something that works, getting it into the house is a nightmare.

We're going to see if Ballard can ship the item disassembled, pretty much our last hope. Just purchased this place 2 years ago but already looking forward to something with a more traditional layout in our next home.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:censored: 2nd failed attempt at delivery of a tall furniture item (96" out of the box, arrived assembled) to the 2nd floor of my city home. First attempt 2 w/ men and they said it's too tall and wide, and too heavy (300lbs), they took measurements and photographs of the relatively tight stairwells they'd have to navigate, and recommended a 4 man crew. That team came today and was just like "yeah it's not going to work." Why'd they send 4 men? "To show you it won't work." They offered to leave the furniture, as if I need an 8 ft tall bookcase in my garage. They also recommended getting it hoisted up through our 2nd story balcony at our own expense as if this were an heirloom piano, rather than questionably made, likely overpriced, "wood" furniture. It's a bit perplexing because we've had some pretty large items brought up through the staircase but I think they just didn't want to expend the energy (mental or physical) to figure it out.

long ago I worked for a cabinetmaker and we ended up doing exactly this on an install , it was a giant custom entertainment center really just a big box but we rented a genie lift and passed it over a tempered glass balcony rail , i found the experience pretty stressful and I wasn't even riding the lift .

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
A while back one of my neighbors had to have their new refrigerator lifted over their house with a crane so it could be brought in via the back door. I came across scene as it unfolded and had to watch. The appliance company apparently guaranteed delivery and was on the hook to pay for the crane rental.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the house a couple of doors down which was purchased nine years ago, took three years to get a demo permit, and is STILL under construction (owners have never spent a single night on-site…), they used a crane to fly in a big-a55 tree for the back yard and a hot tub. Two separate occasions, so two crane rentals. The house is probably 45’ tall at its highest point relative to the street, so it was a ridiculously large crane.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found three of my AC returns covered up by carpet, and the one that was in the kitchen was cut out. I see the square cut from the basement and where the ducting was shortened up. The return should have probably been left and grating put under the cabinet.

Why the hell would ya cover up returns with carpet? I guess they thought, oh no air coming up, must be broke?!

Everyday I find something and I'm like, WTH.

I think most people suck at DIY.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People in the trades call it "Joe McGee" :rolleyes:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMHO, this right here is the pinnacle of hose nozzles:
1719098306828.png

The shorty-wand style is so much nicer to use for most things than the gun shaped ones. Can do everything a gun-style can do, but the extra reach and relaxed angle is much nicer for things like spraying down a muddy bike or other close-up tasks.
The spray pattern choices are on point. Thumb control is perfect.

Unfortunately the build quality seems a bit lacking...seems like they are prone to developing leaks or catastrophic failures after the first season and are particularly susceptible to freezing temps.

Tried some Orbit brand thumb-control sprayers and while the build quality is higher (and seem to use more metal in key places), their spray pattern choices leave a lot to be desired. Nothing else comes close to being as nice to use as the Melnor.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of me wants to reinforce (it can be done)...terminate the joists where "the wall ends" and have this room with a super high ceiling (half of the room roughly), put a landing up there with a table and a huge chandelier.

I would insulate and drywall it.

Thoughts? Would be a **** ton of work, but would definitely be interesting.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
getting rid of big things at home i.e., old fish tank. Worth finding a buyer online?
When our pond fish had babies, we posted them for free on Nextdoor. Given they are like $5-$10 at the fish store, it was easy to get rid of them but only if you want to interact with fish people and people who want things for free.

We ended up just donating a bunch of older kid items recently as the headache of selling was not worth it.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foreverwebsolutions