• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I changed over some of our recessed lighting to LED's and other than the slight pause when turning them on, everything seems the same but I have a question: I just switched out the previous bulbs for LED bulbs but they still get hot. am I suppose to change something in the fixture as well to get the full potential savings with the LED's? I have always head the bulbs don't get hot but after a while of them being on then turned off the bulbs are pretty warm but not burning hot.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LEDs do get quite hot, but they don't generate nearly as much heat as conventional bulbs. I guess conventional bulbs are better at dispersing the heat. If I had to venture a guess I'd say it's because they radiate the heat out whereas LEDs carry it away through conduction. But I don't know anything about it, to be honest.

brokencycle

Reaction score
If your LED bulbs are getting hot (like halogen or incandescent), they may not last the life expectancy. Ataturk is right, but most LED bulbs have some kind of heatsink to disperse thermal energy.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost changed all my bulbs in our house to LED, majority purchased from Costco because the prices were great. So far Ive enjoyed them, although there are a few areas within the house I'd enjoy a warmer glow, but not gonna complain. Having vaulted ceilings and high to reach areas, I'm excited to not having to change them for a few decades. Now if I could just find something to replace 9volts for the smoke alarms in those same areas, we would be golden. Don't really enjoy ladders past 15 feet.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have led's in my overhead lights, but generally just use floor/table lamps. I have two on timers and one of those uses an led that is 3000k, but everything else is just uses regular bulbs.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They make "lithium" 9v batteries that are supposed to last a long time.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing , http://renaissanceparquet.com/french-oak/

"....In the year of our Lord 1291, in a time when talking about Terra Australis would have taken you straight away to the hearty bone fires of the inquisition, the then French king “Philippe le Bel” created the “Administration des Eaux et Forets” (Administration of Waters and Forests), an institution that survived every hardship of the French history until 1966..."

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Europe is really good about that, they work to sustain their forests and replant when they log. They are also very good about taking down mature trees. America is the same for any of our hardwoods, like ash, maple, walnut, cherry, ect. but we had some lag in developing sustainable practices, from my understanding.

I have moved away, almost entirely from rosewoods for that reason, the logging industry in africa/south america is not very good about sustainability. I don't use much in the way of ebony, but will likely do away with using that as well for the same reason.

It's really ashame that they take no consideration for their forests, they haven't developed beyond hand-to-mouth practices.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, for the most part. A lot of the lumberyards in this have collected tons of old growth nuisance trees for the local stuff, a lot of which offers very interesting grain.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's family in Germany was in the forestry business for a while and they were very adamant about replanting after they cut down trees. They have since moved on from doing it themselves but have people log and replant their land. I don't know what sorts of wood they produce as my wife probably has no clue either.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They have a lot of pine and oak.

I know multiple co2 neutral furniture firms and a couple even have their own foundations, where they plant 2 for each tree they use.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could just plant the trees yourself. It would be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics