The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Not so keen on the faux wood tiles personally.

2. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Wood tiles come in different quality when it comes to pattern and color ,so much so that the bad ones might look hideously fake and the good ones look very natural. Never buy them by looking at a catalogue...I found that color and texture in catalogues often looks very different from the real product.
    I have a floor in my kitchen covered by vintage oak matte tiles with smooth surface, makes it very easy to clean and looks quite natural. It is also good solution when you have heated floors.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've done a few bathrooms and it is pretty hard to beat, clean white tile. it mixes with everything. I would skip the wood tile personally.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I like traditional small tile floors with the black dots on the corners, sometimes they are called Victorian tiles.

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I don't mind mowing the lawn - I can sit back for an hour or so and enjoy a cigar. she still gets a cleaning service (I'm [really] ok with that)

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I have seen some that look like crap and some that I like the look. I still have reservations about using faux wood though. The ones I thought looked good had grain variations, and they were typically about 4-6" wide and 18" in length.

+1

Thanks, that make sense. I was just curious because I have a contractor bidding out some work, and while his previous work looks good, and he seems very professional, I am guessing he is going to be very overpriced for the work.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I have to replace the tile in that bathroom because whoever put them down didn't do a very good job. The grout was cracked and coming up in places. I started removing it to regrout and found out why -- the tiles are barely sticking to the subfloor. I don't see the point in spending a lot of energy and time cleaning and re-laying all those shitty looking tiles so it's replacement time.

I like white too -- fashionable bathrooms and kitchens with dark tile or stone everywhere look very affected to me.

But most of my house has dark-stained wood floors so I'm used to the aesthetic. Plus I think I can still use white, or at least mostly white, with the tub surround, the cabinets (off white), maybe some wainescoating, a lighter granite for countertops. Will have to think about it. Design is not my specialty.

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

It's tough to advise without a frame of reference but I would be tempted to do the floor in gray marble tile. Gives you a darker surface without choosing something faux or our of place.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

We put 18 x 24 tiles porcelain tiles in what I think of as an almost-faux-sandstone on the bathroom floor. It's very neutral, isn't trying hard to be anything it isn't, and it was ridiculously inexpensive. We used the same tile on the floor of the shower, then ran a linen print tile in a similar colorway up the shower walls, with bright white marble tiles on the shower ceiling.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Not sure the exact size, but they're big, but travertine in our master bath and we like it. I'd love to have the pavers in the backyard be all travertine but they're considerably more expensive and we're looking at about 2.5k sq feet out there.

11. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

1% problems.

atlas, that sounds like something we're looking at for our bathroom whenever we get around to it.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Most bathrooms I've seen with travertine (or faux travertine, which has to be the world's most popular ceramic tile) end up looking like a well-lit cave. Plus, even though I like the look of the stone (in isolation, at least), it's not very practical--stains very easily and darkens from dirt like grout. I do like the "random" type patterns you see often see with it, though.

I went and looked at the faux-wood tiles and, though maybe it's just my eyesight, they looked pretty darn good to me when sitting on the ground. Up close, obviously, they were not so impressive, but this was the $2/sq ft stuff at home depot. I really don't like the wide, short shape though. But it's probably the best option since you'd either get the laminate look (no seams between the faux board lines) or you'd have way too many grout lines with thinner tiles.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to put in a heated floor. I'm thinking...yes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think a heated bathroom and kitchen floor is one of life's great luxuries.

14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

And throw away that tub while you at it. I see tubs in every bathroom in US and most of them r used simply as a shower basins, it is impractical among other things.

15. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

got to keep the ladies happy.