1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

The springs are on the door hanging mechanism, not the little motor that pulls it the door up and down.

Disconnecting the garage door opener is a good idea, though. Make sure the door moves freely. It should basically hold itself up at any given point in the travel. If it doesn't the springs need to be adjusted.

If the door moves freely, I'd get the manual for your specific opener and see what it tells you to do as far as troubleshooting that issue. You might have to set the travel of the opener somehow.

Or you might just have something blocking the little safety sensors.

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

yea i did that, thats how i know there is some issue with the opener

1. Travel - need to double check but i remember i can pull it all the way up and it doesn't come down.
    2. Manual - dont have manual, bought house and i assume this thing is a bit old, i can probably look up a manual
    3. Blocking - hmmm, ok that makes sense, i think its unlikely but i'll check

i was able to unplug and reset the door, then it went up once fully and closed once fully. but its not as smooth as usual. i'll give it some time tonight if it doesn't work i think its handyman time...

3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

The rails on which it travels may be bent/warped, or the rollers that attach to the door and travel in the rails may not be attached fully/correctly. Give them a look.

4. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Any DIY solutions for a tiny crack that is forming on the lip of my washer drip tray? IT's tiny now but don't want it growing.

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Nope

6. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

7. SUPER K

SUPER K Well-Known Member

Are the hinges, rollers, chain and rail all lubricated? Some of my neighbors doors sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Last week my unit had an issue with the circuit board section linked to the safety "eyes' With parts and call out I was looking at $250. For $450 had it all replaced with the new belt driven model. from Liftmaster/Chamberlain . So quiet.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

i think you are talking to me re: garage door, everything seems ok, not sure what the deal is.

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Taking Thursday and Friday off work to start adding some insulation to the house. First it will be the crawl space to insulate the floors then into the attic. Hoping to at least get recessed lighting covers and rafter baffles installed then blow in insulation when I have some helping hands in town in 2 weeks.

My wife keeps bringing up putting in some retaining walls to level some areas for outdoor seating as our yard is sloped. From what I can find online, it looks like a cinder block wall faced with natural stone then filled with dirt would be easiest. The other option is digging out the sloped area but our yard is a graveyard of old tree roots that would be a major headache.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Installing new floors in the new apartment. This is turning into an expensive nightmare.

Any insight on solid vs. engineered wood in a pre-war NYC apartment with steam radiator heating?

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

I'd go with solid wood if you can. Heat can dry your floor out and cause excessive wood movement, but I wouldn't think it would be an issue if it's installed correctly. Those radiators have been around since before engineered floors existed.

Maybe research the particular species of wood you're planning to use to make sure it doesn't move excessively. Were the old floors damaged by the radiators?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  12. jbarwick

Well insulating my crawl space was easy. Just 4 hours worth of time and it is complete. Next up is prepping the attic for more blown in insulation. I am thinking total cost will be right around $1,000 which is not bad at all.

13. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

does anyone have experience with pre 1800s homes and insulation? thanks in advance

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Around here it's easy, as the answer is none.

1 person likes this.
  15. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

not sure if this is directed towards me, but if it is, thevquestion is about adding attic insulation without a proper vapor barrier. there is blown in insulation installed already, but it is conservatively 20 years ol, dirty and compressed. I plan on removing it and replacing it with new stuff. what are the potential issues with just adding the new stuff?

16. jbarwick

Shouldn't be much of a vapor issue unless there have been roof leaking issues. I am adding rafter baffles for ventilation from the eaves for added peace of mind but other than that, nothing special. Depending on your budget, I have heard the newer foam insulation sprays you can add help a lot but they are pretty expensive up front. Our house would have been close to $10K for that alone. We are in sort of the mid-south of the US and have quite a bit of shade from trees so I just wanted to add a little more at a lower cost.

17. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

How much should I spend on a new front door (frame and sidelight window)? I was just given an estimate of $3500+ (Canada).

18. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of door, how big, if you're going custom, etc. You can easily get a pretty good fiberglass door installed for ~$1000 or less.

19. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

At that price it should be mahogany. Sounds very high, unless you are talking about a lot of work to reframe + a high quality door.

20. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

It seems like a high quality door - hinges have ball bearings (yay?) and heavy duty aluminum flashings outside. But it still seems high so I'm going to get a few more quotes.