1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

DocuSign worked fine for me.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any top-notch contractors in Manhattan?

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I've been taking down wallpaper. God this sucks

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

http://fanuka.com

It looked like good work on tv.

5. js0930

js0930 Senior member

I recently did pretty much my whole house. Assuming they use a water soluble glue, use a paint roller with a bucket of water (way more water than you would ever think you need) and a very sharp scraper (or do what I did and hire some people at $12/hour. They're going to be better at it than you are any way).

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

My fucking homeworks system fried last night when the generator switched on. I would kill to have regular light switches.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

8. itsstillmatt

Good one, man. How long have you been waiting for that?

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Don't say that - I'm about to switch my Crestron lights and Somfy shades over to a Savant system to unify AV, lights and shades. Maybe I should keep some switches.

You run off generators or is this a backup?

lefty

10. itsstillmatt

Backup. Storm last night. We have manual switching for emergencies, but only as four quadrants of the system.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well, you do need the rain.

I'm a little concerned as the installer is setting it up to run everything from a phone or ipad and I'm thinking when did buttons become so taxing.

lefty

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What type and size of generator do you have? Seriously want to install one in the next couple of years.

13. LeatherBoot

Lutron has devices that allow the system to work with poor power...if the homeworks installation was done after the generator was installed then I would contact the people who did your homeworks system and see if they can fix your system for free.

14. LeatherBoot

I have Savant and it does the shades, lights, hvac, and AV but I control the lights and shades with Lutron keypads (in wall and table top) 99% of the time. The Savant TrueControl II app can do more but I rarely need to use it for lights and shades.

Savant also makes remotes with real physical buttons which I find helpful for watching movies and TV so you don't need to pull out your phone in the dark.

Also there is a bit of a learning period to the Savant True Control app because the interface is not intuitive.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I don't even know what it is except it sounds like home automation which I am against.

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Installed a Nest Smoke/CO Detector over the holiday weekend. Only bought 1 to see how it does and put it in the stairwell. Thinking of adding another in the basement stairwell as it was easy and my wife likes the interface on her phone. Next up will be a Thermostat because she is clueless on weather to have the heat or A/C on at night and I just think, let the system decide. Last night she chose wrong and it was too hot in the room and I was too lazy to go change the damn thing over.

17. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

The nest thermostadt is amazing. I find the smoke detectors overpriced and not worth it, but the nest is a bargain for the access and useability

18. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I just bought a house last Thursday, guess I will park up in here.

3 people like this.
  19. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

+1 love the thermostat

20. itsstillmatt

We bought the house with it in. I hate it. I'm fine with paddles and slide dimmers, which is what we are putting in our other place, against the complaints of contractors.

1 person likes this.