1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Going to look at the central vac system today. Also, heard from my carpenter. My bar installation is built but the undershelf stem hangers are on back order and holding him up. Hopefully the week of the 14th we'll get our install.

2. imatlas

imatlas Distinguished Member

Almost 3 months late, but my contractor emailed to say he's finished with everything except our closet doors, which he will hopefully take delivery on tomorrow, paint them in his shop and install on Friday.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Let's talk gas fireplaces as I need a new set of logs. Any wood styles people like or prefer? Do I need a remote? Should I buy more BTUs than I need?

This has come up as the old gas line in our house needs replaced and our logs are in rough shape. Might as well get all new and what I wouldn't mind looking at. There are also tons of extra like that fake ember stuff, burnt logs (no function), pine cones and such as decoration...I assume if I left this up to my wife I would be in for about $2K-$3K for what amounts to something to look at.

4. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

On a related note...can they stop building fricking fireplaces in urban condos? A lot of them have them, despite being pressured for square footage. I like fireplaces...but if I am in a high $/sq.ft. area, that thing is the first to go from my list of desires. Either it juts into the room, or else you still have to plan around it since you can't place anything near or directly in front of it.

They are usually placed such that they are in the only ideal location for a TV in the room...but mounting a TV over a fireplace looks silly and leads to a viewing angle that is way too high. Where else are you going to put it though? If one end of the room is all glass, it can't go there. The other end is a kitchen...can't go there. It could go opposite the fireplace, but then what...are you going to back a couch up to a fireplace? Can't really put the TV in a corner or off center if you are trying to place speakers around it. I'm not a huge TV watcher, but I am going to have one, and it is going to be viewable from the couch and other living room seating...doesn't have to be a centerpiece, but if people come over to watch a movie, I want them to be able to view it comfortably and have good sound.

A lot of them are really ugly too. Like...Hey, we heard fireplaces increase property values, so we put one in the middle of the living room. Didn't want to spend too much building it out though, so it just juts out of the wall in a drywall box.
    mmmm enjoy your rectangle of fire!
    [​IMG]
    I suppose at least the nice thing about buying it is that I could just tear them out...resale value be damned.

5. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    Wow, the upper-middle class :puzzled: fireplaces of mass-exclusivity.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Unvented gas fireplaces are easy to tear out and easy to put back in if you really need to.

7. Piobaire

Strictly my opinion but I think fake logs in gas fire places never look good. It's a gas fire place; be honest to the fact it's not a wood burning fire place. Do some kind of other presentation that does not (usually badly) mimic what it is not.

8. imatlas

9. Piobaire

I am such a small timer. We had been thinking of having a wine installation done in our formal dining room. After much thought it was the best solution for our plans with the house. Got a "ballpark" from one place. It was a young sounding girl so maybe she was way off...but 40k. Yeah, I will not be spending two top end BMW motorcycles on a wine installation.

10. imatlas

What is a wine installation?

11. Piobaire

Something like this structurally but not all glass for us as wine should sleep in the dark away from prying eyes.

[​IMG]

You can get them custom made for your space.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

In all actuality we could rip out the gas line and make it a wood burning fireplace but my wife would not be up for that. Our house is weird in that there is a fireplace on the main floor, ground level then there is another one in the garage/basement. We drive into the garage which also has the washer/dryer but then there is this room with another brick wood burning fireplace. We will only use that room for storage as I do not foresee myself going to that room to hang out for whatever reason....we have a family room and living room for that.

But back to the main floor fireplace, there is an old gas line running in that is currently not working and we are thinking of updating the piping ($400) and add some gas logs. Will also have to then buy some sort of glass front / wire screen.

13. Medwed

Sounds like that room would be perfeect for wood burining Sauna.

14. Piobaire

Central vac = :slayer:

15. Medwed

Imagine energy bills alone would pay for a nice wine collection. That, plus energy bills would make for a nice 5 minute converstaion before you switch back to sports.