1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I lost track...is this tomatoes in containers? Mrs. Piob had a problem doing this a couple years ago and she researched a specific nutrient was needed of they sort of atrophied on the bottom badly and were inedible. I'll ask her if you want. FWIW, she was using Grow Boxes or something. Built in irrigation and ways to fertilize I guess.

2. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

It has been a full year since our kitchen remodel. The painted white wood cabinets with nickel hardware were the right decision. I love them. The nickel looks ideal next to SS appliances. The under the counter wine fridge is a real win as well. Hight recommend getting rid of your 90's trash compactor and replacing it with one of these babies.

[​IMG]

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

People actually have trash compactors in their homes? I thought that was like...a magazine ad product nobody ever bought

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

How did you decide what rooms for recessed lighting? Mrs. JB wants more light in certain rooms as our old house was lit by lamps and windows. She wants to put awful lights on our ceiling fans but I am arguing for recessed lighting even in the bedrooms. We need something more than lamps but not ugly light ceiling fan lights.

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

If you already have ceiling fans in some of the rooms, I would advise against putting recessed lighting in above them as it can cause a horribly annoying strobe light effect if both the fan and the lights are on simultaneously.

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, tomatoes, and a few cucumbers and peppers.

You're describing blossom-end-rot, caused by calcium deficiency or irregular watering habits, depending on who you believe. I haven't had that problem -- I made my own potting soil according to the popular (online) 5-1-1 recipe. It's just pine bark (literally cheaper than dirt here), perlite and peat moss. Since it's a very acidic base you put in a measured amount of lime -- which happens to be mostly calcium. I actually did have exactly one tomato rot on the end, and it happened to be the first big one I had -- that was a little alarming, but not another one since.

My problem is just some yellowing of the leaves and browning on the edges. I don't know exactly what nutrient they're wanting-- the advantage of miracle gro is that it has all of them (except for calcium). It may very well be more than one. Problem is that the controlled release fertilizer releases faster than advertised -- 3 months is more like 2 months, or in my case 1.5 months. I doubt they rate it for being watered every day like I was doing before the drip system came online. If I could inject liquid fertilizer directly into the irrigation water I'd never have to worry about stuff like this.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

7. Gus

Called Comcast /Xfinity mt cable company. Told them I wanted to downgrade service, they knocked off $30 a month and will provide the same package as before.

I ran into this 5 years ago with Direct TV. I think I had been paying something like $200 a month for all the jazzy services. I called to tell them I was changing to Comcast and they offered to reduce my bill to $75.

Any of these types of services (cable, phone, internet) you can really play them against the competition and they are happy to give you discounts to retain you as a customer.

8. Gus

Well, we have one. There was one in our kitchen when we moved in 11 years ago. My wife enjoyed it so much she wanted a new one when we remodeled. My installation guy said, "Trash compactors....they turn 10 lbs of garbage into 10 lbs of garbage...."

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Stylish Dinosaur

new fridge, new dishwasher, pool pavers, driveway, ball court all in last month. no money left.

10. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Compactor or disposal? SanFo is nuts about their disposals. I think every place I looked at had one.

My NYC place has one which apparently is a big fucking deal here. The agent said to list that as third thing after 'corner unit' and 'roof deck' when we resell.

If you build it, he will come.

lefty

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Stylish Dinosaur

^assuming you're still in sf, i'm out there one week out of 6. coffee time.

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

Well, we don't really need much light in the bedrooms - lamps are adequate in there.
    The dining room will eventually get some kind of interesting fixture.
    Living room is too large a room for any one fixture, plus we really want a ceiling fan in there. (In Seattle a ceiling fan in the living and bedroom will suffice for air conditioning during the summer)

13. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

As in an in-sink disposal? Odd, those are pretty much standard in all new construction or renovations around here. If I owned a place that didn't have one, I would probably install one within the first couple of months just because they are handy to have, easy to install, take up little space, and cost what...$150?

Does NYC have some weird rule about them?

edit: looks like NYC banned them until 1997...and a lot of buildings still ban them fearing for their pipes. Weird...I think I would prefer ground up disposal junk going down the pipes to whatever people can cram through their drain openings.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

14. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

They ran me out about 1.5 years ago. Happy in Harlem.

They were banned for a number of years. The belief was the NYers would use them to dispose of cat litter, car transmissions and bodies, and fuck up the city's plumbing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/nyregion/garbage-disposals-are-the-new-kitchen-amenity.html

lefty

15. Gus

I was referring to a compactor.

Garbage disposals in suburban CA are standard equipment. Crazy about the NYC law against them until fairly recently. I'm so accustomed to using one that it is hard to imagine life without one. Kinda like the dishwasher. I think I'd feel like I was camping without either of them.