• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I buy now, am I getting the worst of both worlds? (After the full run up in price + high interest rates).
Such a pain as there’s a nice house (0.3 acres, which in LA county is solid), but I’m really not trying to buy at the top and regret it for years
You only regret things like this if you
1) run the risk of not being able to afford mortgage in the future
2) plan on moving soon
3) don't enjoy what you are buying and are buying it because 'it is available'
4) plan on needing money from your house in the fiture

Buying at any price is irrelevant if you plan on keeping it "forever" and you can afford the payment.

I am a bif believer of buy what you want, when you want. You can't live trying to time the market

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2) plan on moving soon

Buying at any price is irrelevant if you plan on keeping it "forever" and you can afford the payment.

I am a bif believer of buy what you want, when you want. You can't live trying to time the market

A very successful real estate guy in LA once said to me, "In the stock market you wait to get in. In real estate you get in and wait."

A bit reductive perhaps, but overall has a point.

brokencycle

Reaction score
2) plan on moving soon

Phil actually said something helpful and insightful, so the world has gone topsy turvy.

The reality is you're probably buying at a local peak in prices, but generally house prices don't fall in the face of rising rates. Who knows on interest rates, but I would say they will probably go up more unless we see inflation numbers really start coming down.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wut wi donut sea are SF membrs tiping with proper speling apparintley.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Odds are good that interest rates will come back down in the future and you can refi, so that's less of a factor than the price. And if interest rates don't come back down, then you're not going to save any from waiting unless you just stay at your current place.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will also say, while some of the pandemic hot spots may price correct, I dont think LA county is going to anytime soon.

Too many people, hard to build, land already full, and all the nice neighborhoods hate development.

Was skyrocketing pre pandemic, and even with interest rates I'm seeing Pasadena values climbing over last 6 months.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interest rates have already started to come down to the tune of around 0.5% over the last month.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A house down the street just sold in a week for $1.25 million above the asking price so I guess it ain't over yet.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I buy now, am I getting the worst of both worlds? (After the full run up in price + high interest rates).
Such a pain as there’s a nice house (0.3 acres, which in LA county is solid), but I’m really not trying to buy at the top and regret it for years

*caveat emptor* but : demographics have eased a bit in cali over the past couple years , my general read is that the timing is prob not bad ...

edit : consider this cali dept of finance population projection ,

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 5.14.34 PM.png

the current notch / dip represents a realtime blip in housing competition , fwiw i think buying a bigger lot is a fabulous play against the trend to density

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait til you see the detached fungeon!
Why would you want your fungeon detached when you can dig a deep pit of fun and have a two story basement....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads