1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I'm sure Virginia is littered with them.

2. otc

otc Senior member

These guys have no problem retrofitting under-floor radiators into a 100+ year old home with wood floors:
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,20163505,00.html

They do spray insulation under the tubing and recommend hardwood with narrower planks to avoid expansion problems, but they don't seem to think it is a big deal.

1 person likes this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You're struggling with reading comprehension.

4. archetypal_yuppie

Your location label is "VA," dumbass. As in, pointing out how that does not apply to you. Unless you're not really there, then change dumbass to liar.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Nobody's comments on the topic were location specific, including mine:

Stop derailing the thread with illiteracy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

We have hydronic in concrete at our place on the coast. It kind of sucks as a main heating source in my opinion.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I don't think anyone uses that as a main heat source up here where it actually gets cold.

8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The company came to start work on our full house repipe today. At lunch time I get a call about some minor tile I knew they would have to remove and the words "we are still tracking all the pipes before cutting anything." Around 3pm I get a call from the company's office stating the person is on their way for a house visit. I thought it was odd and ask what for. Turns out the plumber had to call an HVAC tech to come. Got a word late today that a 2-3 day job will take 6.

I am not mad, I am paying 1 price and am pushing for a cash payment discount.

The old man who built my house in 1959 was a damn good engineer which usually causes issues for repairs....

9. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

That's really not bad. My 6 month remodel is 98% done now (not including furniture) and I'm past the 2 year mark now....though I did expand the scope a bit more than I originally planned.

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It's meant for slightly more temperate climates.

11. archetypal_yuppie

Exclusive use of under-floor heating is AWESOME for climates that don't need AC and don't get cold. If your fucking stupid pronouncements were atoms I could build a sick mansion out of them.

1 person likes this.
  12. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

How much?

I've got a couple of galvanized pipe runs more clogged than my dad's arteries after a trip to octoberfest?

13. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

drum trap?? When was house built?

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

What a creative derivative of the "if I had a nickel" quip. Find out what a temperate climate is. Hint, it doesn't need AC and rarely goes below freezing.

Like many things, it's in the execution. If you have underfloor heat in a temperate climate and it "sucks" then you were probably a cheapskate and didn't provide enough capacity, hired an idiot, or picked a system that didn't measure up. It's kind of like people that complain their water goes cold in the shower.

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The galvanized pipe was already converted to copper before we purchased. This is 4" cast iron drain pipe snaked through the bathrooms/walls near bathrooms. Currently the drywall looks like swiss cheese as finding the path the original builder used is tough. Cost includes new water heater and some other plumbing fixes but sitting at $9K without drywall work. There were at least 5 different people at our house today included the companies head plumber as I don't think the first guys knew what they were entirely getting into. Once the plumbing work is finished, we will reassess what we want to do about adding in some extra lights and what to do about ventilation as the first floor bathroom will be tough to add a fan to.

House was built in 1959 and yes those are drum traps. Most of the pipe is sealed with lead around the connections.

16. archetypal_yuppie

Keep defending your stupid initial statement, thereby forcing yourself to say stupider and stupiderer things in its defense.

So, stupidface, why don't YOU do some research on what temperate climate is. Here in green: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperateness .

Any green places where you don't need AC, you'll freeze your balls off in winter. Any places you don't need more heating than sub-floor (or would be stupid enough to depend on a floor that will burn your feet off), you're more of a cheap schmuck for not having AC than you are for not having proper heat.

/ Mic drop.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nobody where I live has AC and a lot of people have mainly floor heating. The thing is that idfnl is an idiot, but you are a bigger idiot and it even makes him look less stupid.

2 people like this.
  18. archetypal_yuppie

You can't continue on this topic I already said "mic drop"

19. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Yeah works great for us in San Francisco. We've never really had to crank it up but I think that's in part because its so effective. You never get the sensation of heat but it's always comfortable. I guess the only downside for us is that I sometimes enjoy the heat blast of central heat on a chilly day but that's mainly nostalgia and we have a gas fireplace for those times. Air temp hardly ever gets much below 50 degrees though so SF is kind of the poster child for hydronic.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wikipedia. A battle of the best internet commenceth. You've learned well from Matt, our Queen of Google.

http://www.enviropedia.org.uk/Climate/Temperate_Climate.php

It says "Temperate climates are those without extremes of temperature and precipitation (rain and snow)."

Common among Queen Google's disciples, your own link also says: "The temperatures in these regions are generally relatively moderate, rather than extremely hot or cold, and the changes between summer and winter are also usually moderate.", sorta consistent with my statement that it doesn't usually need AC and rarely goes below freezing.

But even Matt is telling you you're wrong. Take your lumps, move on.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015